Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend Crashed My FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:39 PM
manchez
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Friend Crashed My FXDB

so on saturday a friend crashed my crashed my street bob... he said a car cut him off on the street (not the highway)... his injuries include a slight elbow fracture, slightly dislocated back, and some road rash.... he got out of the hospital the same day so thats good and I'm glad..... but my damn heart is broken over my bike lol picked it up today from the tow yard and the bars completely broke, dented tank, quarter fairing is jacked, a bolt and nut from the exhaust bracket is missing and some road rash on the right fork and my HD heavy duty cleaner is crushed, and my left foot control and link is messed up but still able to put in neutral to load onto tow truck... as i was driving home i was thinking.... now i can finally have an excuse to buy the parts that i really wanted. One of those "look at the bright side" type of things i guess. No oil leaks of any sorts as well. Has anybody had a similar situation where you just dont want to go through insurance to fix the bike? if so did y'all buy all new parts or used or mixed? anything i should look out for? Rims and tires still look fine and forks dont look screwed except for the road rash...

Attached Thumbnails Friend Crashed My FXDB-img_5708.jpg   Friend Crashed My FXDB-img_5706.jpg   Friend Crashed My FXDB-img_5705.jpg   Friend Crashed My FXDB-img_5703.jpg   Friend Crashed My FXDB-img_5704.jpg  

Old 01-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Slvr764
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Friend have insurance? Was he licensed? If not, you may be SOL.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:30 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

As far as the bike, replace parts on your friends dime. My current insurer insures me only as the primary operator, if someone else wrecks my bike it's on me. Another question is this are you paying the medical bills for your friend or is his employers health insurance covering it? I'd look at the throttle body real close for cracks, you lucked out with no oil leaks from the primary. Good luck with this, keep us informed as to how the rebuild is going.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:30 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,244 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Your insurance may not cover if the crash by someone other than you.

Hopefully your friend won't sue you because you failed to properly warn him that motorcycles can be hazardous to your life.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:38 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by manchez
Has anybody had a similar situation where you just dont want to go through insurance to fix the bike? if so did y'all buy all new parts or used or mixed?...
Stop...... Call the insurance company IMMEDIETLTY! Before you make a huge mistake. My wife crashed her bike at maybe 5 MPH. She had significantly LESS damage than what you just posted and they TOTALED the bike. Don't mess around!

Last edited by bikerlaw; 01-18-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:56 PM
Dip
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looped out in some gavel on a softail i had a few years ago and got a check from the insurance company. I bought mostly used parts on ebay and made a bad *** machine when all said and done, with a few extra dollars in my pocket to boot. it will only work that way if you do the work of course.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:01 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

it's just a bike. your friend is more important. have him fix the damage. you've learned a good lesson here. tell him to get his own.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:01 PM
manchez
Advanced

Originally Posted by Slvr764
Friend have insurance? Was he licensed? If not, you may be SOL.
not licensed and he didn't have insurance.... so yea I'm pretty much SOL lol

Old 01-18-2017, 08:05 PM
manchez
Advanced

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
As far as the bike, replace parts on your friends dime. My current insurer insures me only as the primary operator, if someone else wrecks my bike it's on me. Another question is this are you paying the medical bills for your friend or is his employers health insurance covering it? I'd look at the throttle body real close for cracks, you lucked out with no oil leaks from the primary. Good luck with this, keep us informed as to how the rebuild is going.
Yea he's going to have to get the parts on his dime and we'll put them on together.... thats the cheapest route unless he wants to pay a shop to do it all which i really doubt. my insurance is the same where it only covers anything if I'm the one operating the bike. as far as the medical bills go he have health insurance himself. he only had the bike cause I've been working out of town and the battery kept dying and i live in an apartment complex so i had it stored at his house so i can start it regularly.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 PM
manchez
Advanced

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Your insurance may not cover if the crash by someone other than you.

Hopefully your friend won't sue you because you failed to properly warn him that motorcycles can be hazardous to your life.
yea my insurance won't cover anything if someone else was riding it. i really doubt he'll go that far as i had the bike at his house cause for the past 5 months I've been working out of town and needed it started regularly so the battery wouldn't die.

Quick Reply: Friend Crashed My FXDB