Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My DDAw6.5 install/ review

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 06:47 AM
Outkast6991
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts
Default My DDAw6.5 install/ review

Well I finally finished my install for the most part so I thought I post a couple pics and some observations so far. First off my purchase from start to finish was painless and communication during the process has been great. My box arrived last Friday but due to a horrific stomach virus I didn't actually do anything until Wednesday morning. I mounted the BT30's through the hogtune grills with no real issue. They have a really secure mounting ring on the body which seems to hold them very well. After mounting the grills and reinstalling the BT speaker brackets I opened up the aw6.5's to see what I was working with. If I'm completely honest I was kinda surprised by the fact that the speakers have a lead of wire off of them instead of a terminal or connector of some sort. I'm guessing it's a normal thing in the industry. Unfortunately the wire was about 8 inches short of reaching the amp on one side and maybe 2 inches on the other (doh!!). I absolutely hate wiring but I ended up having to extend the input to the crossovers and the 6.5's as well. I mounted the crossovers on the outsides of the brackets with Velcro. They seem to be held pretty well. Once I was all wired up I set the front gain at 24vac then hooked up the speakers. After struggling to get my fairing back on ( no idea why as it looks like I have room) I went for a ride to test it out. I still need to figure out some tuning on my BT355 but the difference between these speakers and my previous Hertz HCX's is HUGE!!! These things are what I will call clear/crisp. They are wayyyyy louder than any previous speaker I've had and I think once I get the LL figured out they will punch pretty good too. I almost wish I could cut back on the tweeters a bit because they get LOUD!!! Anyway here's a couple pics and if anyone has any input on either getting the LL back to stock or how to properly tune it I'm all ears.

Last edited by Outkast6991; 01-20-2017 at 06:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FL15TG (01-21-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 07:02 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

That looks awesome!!! Those BT30's get loud but not harsh. I think you can hear the music better on the road because of their size. Two things, if you end up adjusting the LL's with some warmth from the woofer it will balance things out; or try wiring the tweeter out of phase (backwards).

Then post some vids!!!

Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 AM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
That looks awesome!!! Those BT30's get loud but not harsh. I think you can hear the music better on the road because of their size. Two things, if you end up adjusting the LL's with some warmth from the woofer it will balance things out; or try wiring the tweeter out of phase (backwards).

Then post some vids!!!
my LL has been adjusted unsuccessfully at this point so I either need to find the right way or get it back to stock. Either that or I saw a post from Rockford about flashing for the flat curve and ditching the LL all together. As soon as I get somewhere with the tuning I'll post a vid

Old 01-20-2017, 07:39 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Thats one good lookin amp right there lol. Good to see things coming together. Cant wait for the final product.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:51 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab

Then post some vids!!!
Don't want to thread hijack here but are the BT30s loud enough you could mount them through the fairing mirror hole locations like matt did his horns?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

That's a beautiful set up Outkast!! You'll be thankful for those tweets being loud at 80 mph!! lol Great job Bro!

Old 01-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gannicus
That's a beautiful set up Outkast!! You'll be thankful for those tweets being loud at 80 mph!! lol Great job Bro!

thanks man! I can tell you I had no problem hearing it at 95mph this morning! Just gotta get the LL back in shape and I think I'll be happy

Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Outkast6991
my LL has been adjusted unsuccessfully at this point so I either need to find the right way or get it back to stock. Either that or I saw a post from Rockford about flashing for the flat curve and ditching the LL all together. As soon as I get somewhere with the tuning I'll post a vid
Take a few minutes today and call BT Mike. He can give u the Readers Digest version of finding ur way back to the default LL settings. HPF exactly on the default markings and 11:30-12:00 on gains is where 99% of the LLs I have seen are positioned.
For the rest of the gang that have ***** on their amps, you really should never have to jack w the HPF on the LL. Extremely sensitive HPF dials.

Awesome install Brotha!!!! Be very patient with the tuning process as it really is an art that is worthy of each of us getting to know on our individual sleds. Can make a good setup awesome, at the same time an awesome setup shixxy. This is the critical part of our sled audio purchases where it pays huge dividends to have an expert like Haze to lean on and learn from!!! Priceless.

T

No U Glider (01-28-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Outkast6991
thanks man! I can tell you I had no problem hearing it at 95mph this morning! Just gotta get the LL back in shape and I think I'll be happy
If you don't mind, when you can, a front on picture of the speaks installed would be greatly appreciated, please.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:36 AM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
If you don't mind, when you can, a front on picture of the speaks installed would be greatly appreciated, please.
Like this?

MMXIWG (01-20-2017)

Quick Reply: My DDAw6.5 install/ review