Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom/standard front fender lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:51 PM
chaselee
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Custom/standard front fender lowering?

Does anyone make a kit or adapter to do this? I would think it would be easy enough to build with the right tools/machining. I want to get my front fender down closer to the tire. Thx

Old 01-21-2017, 12:12 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Have you thought about buying a larger front rim and tire?

Old 01-21-2017, 12:23 AM
chaselee
Tourer

Not really, being that my bikes has aftermarket rims on it. That would be expensive im sure, not to mention I don't even know what brand the rims are. Really I may just put a different fender on it if I cant find a way to get the factory one down some.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:39 AM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Seems like a simple matter to fit the front fender closer to the rubber...nearly trivial, in fact - at least on my bikes anyway. I would think it a poor way to spend money if somebody suggested that I ought to buy a fixture that a kid could modify...but not every scooter comes with a bag of skill...or a place to work...

Fitting a rear fender closer is a bit more complex...and I am doing that on my evo st - an old shovel rear fender...some of the holes even lined up. More to it, but not difficult...

Old 01-21-2017, 12:58 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 337 Likes on 217 Posts

Have you googled....."harley front fender lowering brackets"? Lots there.

Here, let me do it for you....

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=harley...ering+brackets

Old 01-21-2017, 01:12 AM
chaselee
Tourer

Originally Posted by pie plate
Seems like a simple matter to fit the front fender closer to the rubber...nearly trivial, in fact - at least on my bikes anyway. I would think it a poor way to spend money if somebody suggested that I ought to buy a fixture that a kid could modify...but not every scooter comes with a bag of skill...or a place to work...

Fitting a rear fender closer is a bit more complex...and I am doing that on my evo st - an old shovel rear fender...some of the holes even lined up. More to it, but not difficult...

On straight or vertical sided fenders I would have to agree, and have lowered fenders like that in the past. However my fender is not like that. Its like this....

Attached Thumbnails Custom/standard front fender lowering?-716732896_tp.jpg  
Old 01-21-2017, 01:14 AM
chaselee
Tourer

Originally Posted by S.D.M.F
Have you googled....."harley front fender lowering brackets"? Lots there.

Here, let me do it for you....

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=harley...ering+brackets

LOL, yes I have and all ive found is stuff for baggers and a discontinued kuryaken kit for springers. That's a pretty cool link tho

Last edited by chaselee; 01-21-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:45 AM
Gaz B
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by chaselee
On straight or vertical sided fenders I would have to agree, and have lowered fenders like that in the past. However my fender is not like that. Its like this....
That's the same if not very similar fender I had on my 09 FXSTC which I lowered a few years back by slotting the existing holes in the bracket.

Attached Thumbnails Custom/standard front fender lowering?-img_0266.jpg   Custom/standard front fender lowering?-img_0255.jpg  
Old 01-21-2017, 01:56 AM
chaselee
Tourer

Very similar indeed, but I don't think slotting the holes is going to get me anywhere near I want to be. It needs to come down at least an inch which would put it into the angled part of the brace.

Attached Thumbnails Custom/standard front fender lowering?-screenshot_20170121-014937.png  
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Gaz B
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by chaselee
Very similar indeed, but I don't think slotting the holes is going to get me anywhere near I want to be. It needs to come down at least an inch which would put it into the angled part of the brace.
Know what you mean,
I went just beyond the angled part of the brace to get the fender down nice and close but found whilst out on a long hot ride the tyre grew a lot more than I'd alllowed for and rubbed all the paint off the underside of the brace, thankfully the tyre was ok.
Finished up adjusting the tyre clearance to 1/2" and this brought the fixing just back into the straight sides of the brace.
If you haven't already mocked it up with a "safe" clearance gap between fender and tyre I think you might be pleasantly surprised to see you don't need to venture into the angled part.
Good luck and hope you get the result you're after.
Gary

Quick Reply: Custom/standard front fender lowering?