Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Cam install

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 02:43 PM
streetking1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam install

I am installing S&S 570C cams on a 2000 RK HD and using S&S 33-5175 cam installation kit. I have installed new inner cam bearings, installed front and rear outer cam bearings into camplate
, installed inner bearing race and thrust washer and o ring onto rear splined cam, installed cams into new outer bearings and new secondary cam chain with new chain tensioner ,checked all of these items for smooth and free spinning and correct operation,which hey did . Then the complete camplate assembly was installed into cam chest . also at this point push rods ,lifters are not installed .All of these procedures were done utilizing all the required tools . My question is at this point when I turn the cams they have a spot as they are being rotated that has a very slight resistance . At this point I removed the camplate from bike, removed the tension from secondary cam chain inner tensioner and installed camplate assembly back into bike and it spins free by hand , inner cam chain tensioner has been released /unloaded from chain. Then I removed camplate and released inner tensioner onto secondary cam chain. Again when i rotate cams by hand I feel a spot with slight resistance . I have done quite of cam upgrades and installs in the past but have never actually checked the cams for operation at the point I have described above. Can you tell me if it is normal to feel the slight resistance rotating cams at the point described taking in consideration that all procedures that were done was completed by a very competent mechanic . Just to be clear the rear outer cam drive sprocket , outer cam chain , crank sprocket are not installed and also no push rods or lifters are installed when I am rotating cams .
If you can help with any of your knowledge it would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-22-2017, 08:31 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by streetking1
I am installing S&S 570C cams on a 2000 RK HD and using S&S 33-5175 cam installation kit. I have installed new inner cam bearings, installed front and rear outer cam bearings into camplate
, installed inner bearing race and thrust washer and o ring onto rear splined cam, installed cams into new outer bearings and new secondary cam chain with new chain tensioner ,checked all of these items for smooth and free spinning and correct operation,which hey did . Then the complete camplate assembly was installed into cam chest . also at this point push rods ,lifters are not installed .All of these procedures were done utilizing all the required tools . My question is at this point when I turn the cams they have a spot as they are being rotated that has a very slight resistance . At this point I removed the camplate from bike, removed the tension from secondary cam chain inner tensioner and installed camplate assembly back into bike and it spins free by hand , inner cam chain tensioner has been released /unloaded from chain. Then I removed camplate and released inner tensioner onto secondary cam chain. Again when i rotate cams by hand I feel a spot with slight resistance . I have done quite of cam upgrades and installs in the past but have never actually checked the cams for operation at the point I have described above. Can you tell me if it is normal to feel the slight resistance rotating cams at the point described taking in consideration that all procedures that were done was completed by a very competent mechanic . Just to be clear the rear outer cam drive sprocket , outer cam chain , crank sprocket are not installed and also no push rods or lifters are installed when I am rotating cams . If you can help with any of your knowledge it would be greatly appreciated
I don't think there is an issue but some questions. Have you tried flipping the chain and rotating in the opposite direction? Have you inspected the chain links for any that are tighter than others? Have you inspected the cam sprockets for any irregularities that might contribute to the resistance? If the setup passes muster on those points, run it.

As a side note, the s&S 570 cams need much more compression than the 88" or 95" motor produces; thinner head gasket and some head decking are required for that cam.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:54 AM
streetking1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help, I will check it out. The parts are all new and without tension on the secondary chain it rorates clean .

Old 01-22-2017, 12:17 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by streetking1
Thanks for the help, I will check it out. The parts are all new and without tension on the secondary chain it rorates clean .
I understand and, like I said, I don't believe there is an issue. Having said that, if the "slight" resistance bothers you, check out those three things and if you don't find anything, run finish the install and run it.