Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 02:57 PM
zigzag
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear Bumper

I have a 2016 Freewheeler and want to get a rear bumper for it. For those that have installed one, fairly simple or ? I wouldn't mind saving the labor cost's but as with some things I don't want to start on a job then wish I hadn't ! Appreciate any information.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:13 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Bumpers are easy

No problem installing a bumper if I remember right 4 bolts 6 at the max all hanging down nothing hidden

Originally Posted by zigzag
I have a 2016 Freewheeler and want to get a rear bumper for it. For those that have installed one, fairly simple or ? I wouldn't mind saving the labor cost's but as with some things I don't want to start on a job then wish I hadn't ! Appreciate any information.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:09 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Piece of cake. Four bolts, four washers and nuts, and some thread locker.

You pull the four body to frame bolts from under the carpet in the trunk, the frame is threaded underneath. Clean the Loctite from the holes. Apply Loctite in the middle of the new, longer bolts they give you and torque them. (Apply the locker as far down as it was on the original bolts so it is where the frame threads are.)

Since they are longer, they stick out from the other side of the frame an inch or so. All done from in the trunk.

Then the hard part, hoisting the bumper up to where the bolts sticking down go through holes in its brackets, and start at least one nut/washer on each side. I ran the trike up on a couple of 2x6s to get some more room, and sat one end of the bumper on a convenient cardboard box while putting the nuts on the other side. Apply locking compound, torque, enjoy.

I got a Rivco unit and like it a lot. It has some holes with threaded inserts in the bottom that allow you to add flag holders and such.

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Easy, wife and I installed ours on the 16 TG

Old 01-22-2017, 08:02 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Can't really add much to what has been said. I ordered mine from J&P. Finish was perfect and I got it pretty fast. I was actually able to lay on the floor and get my size 12 hoof under there to hold up one side while I started nuts on the other side. The whole install took maybe 30 minutes. Easypeasy.....

Old 01-22-2017, 08:48 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Remove the 4 bolts on the floor of the trunk. Put the bumper under the trike on 2 jack stands. Get two 6" lengths of 1/4" threaded rod with nuts and washers and insert 1 rod with a nut and a washer into a bolt hole on each side of the trunk That will leave about 4"-5" of threaded rod hanging down below the deck. Insert the threaded rod into the bolt holes on the bumper and put a nut and washer on the rod. Tighten the nuts until the bumper is drawn up into a position where you can easily install 2 of the supplied bolts. Remove the threaded rods and install the remaining 2 supplied bolts. Don't forget to center the bumper side to side. Make sure, also that the gap between the back of the bike and the bumper are the same on both sides of the trike. Tighten and then torque the bolts to spec and you are done. Just so you know, it took me longer to write this than it does for me to do the job.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Bowler Jerry
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have installed on 2016 Freewheeler twice because the fist bumper broke after 4 months. Dealer replaced on warranty, with H D bumper u mount brackets to the frame then bolt bumper to brackets.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:06 PM
zigzag
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds easy enough to me ,thanks all for the information.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:59 AM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

.....one more YES IT IS EASY vote.....I bought the HD version and am happy with it...one added attraction to the bumper in place....it provides a place for support when putting the trike on the hoist.....

Old 01-23-2017, 12:14 PM
8Crow
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yup! It's pretty simple if you have even a slim knowledge of tools and how to use them... No real requirement to jack and support the rear of the TG to get the job done as long as you are able to get down on your back to work under the trunk. Did mine in the dealership parking lot the day I picked the trike up.

Once you have the trunk mat out, you can get a bolt started loosely on any corner of the bumper mount and then use that to support one side while you start the remainder of the bolts.

As the famous sport's wear commercial says... Just do it!!

Good luck
Doug

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper