Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on the DD AW 6.5 w/tweeter setups

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 05:06 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts
Default Question on the DD AW 6.5 w/tweeter setups

Glad to see that the reviews coming in so far are very positive for the initial installs (not that I expected anything less).

I'm running BT 4180 amp and would prefer to keep that instead of selling it and buying a DD or 600.4.

So here's my question: How much of the success of these setups is based on the ability to tweak the amp gains to get the best sound? Since I wouldn't have the option to do that, how much would I be leaving on the table with the component set up?

I realize it's hard to quantify that, just looking for a level of magnitude here - not enough to make a noticeable difference, less than ideal but still significantly better than non-component speaks such as the 602s or BT 6.5, or huge difference that it's not worth doing with that amp.

Thanks in advance guys and ride safe.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:07 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Glad to see that the reviews coming in so far are very positive for the initial installs (not that I expected anything less).

I'm running BT 4180 amp and would prefer to keep that instead of selling it and buying a DD or 600.4.

So here's my question: How much of the success of these setups is based on the ability to tweak the amp gains to get the best sound? Since I wouldn't have the option to do that, how much would I be leaving on the table with the component set up?

I realize it's hard to quantify that, just looking for a level of magnitude here - not enough to make a noticeable difference, less than ideal but still significantly better than non-component speaks such as the 602s or BT 6.5, or huge difference that it's not worth doing with that amp.

Thanks in advance guys and ride safe.
power wise the 180 per side is plenty. Just don't break the distortion level of the head unit.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Be patient. A few guys are installing them with BT4180 as we speak. As out resident expert, Slye, indicated I don think power will be a concern as I'm a running less W than u have.

I think the recommended crossover is around 80-90 and think the LL is crossed around 80 (not certain of that) but I predict that amp will do just fine.

We will know soon enough. Worst case, Mike at BT would be more than willing to assist with any fine tuning of the LL.

T

Old 01-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear. Now to figure out something to buy for her bike to avoid brown truck envy.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:15 PM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Be patient. A few guys are installing them with BT4180 as we speak. As out resident expert, Slye, indicated I don think power will be a concern as I'm a running less W than u have.

I think the recommended crossover is around 80-90 and think the LL is crossed around 80 (not certain of that) but I predict that amp will do just fine.

We will know soon enough. Worst case, Mike at BT would be more than willing to assist with any fine tuning of the LL.

T
Hey T,
Have you heard anything from the guys who were installing these with the 4180? Any vids? Haze found the treasure with these speaks. They are amazing and I'm anxious to hear them running on that amp!
- FW

Last edited by Fatherwayne; 01-30-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:58 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

FW - to be very honest all credit goes to T for treasure hunting and finding the AW's. We were looking for a speaker that could play low enough and high enough when he said hey check the specs on these. So props to T!

With regard to the 4180.....brutha, you are NOT going to hear a bad review man. There's a vid and review posted using an Arc 600.4 and one with the JL bridge to 140w. This is very close in power and sound to the 4180, what you heard from them will be very similar. Don't think anyone's gonna post they're not happy. I know a few guys who got them and were using that amp. Not one bad email yet!

Old 01-31-2017, 03:10 AM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
FW - to be very honest all credit goes to T for treasure hunting and finding the AW's. We were looking for a speaker that could play low enough and high enough when he said hey check the specs on these. So props to T!

With regard to the 4180.....brutha, you are NOT going to hear a bad review man. There's a vid and review posted using an Arc 600.4 and one with the JL bridge to 140w. This is very close in power and sound to the 4180, what you heard from them will be very similar. Don't think anyone's gonna post they're not happy. I know a few guys who got them and were using that amp. Not one bad email yet!
Beautiful. Thanks to Tailwind then. Great find bro. I'm sold on the speaker for sure. I know there won't be any bad reviews on it. It is an absolute beast. You and I were just talking about suspecting that the 4180 with its preset crossover point would work well but might not get absolutely all the lows out of that speaker that it had to offer vs using an amp with dials. I wanted to hear how low the 4180 actually gets with the 6.5 head unit and decide if I need to switch to a 600.4 instead. The Moto and JBL that WTR used both sound excellent but they have dials. That was early on though and at that point we didn't know anybody that had used a 4180 with these speaks yet. When T mentioned above he knew people were installing them right now I was hoping to hear it in action. I'm glad to hear you've had some folks with them on it now.

Hey BTW, I got a chance to put my headphones in and listen to the black glide you did (I feel blessed) with 6 speakers and 2 horns. Geeez Louise that thing pounds and it's clear as a bell. Were those VO horns?
-FW

Old 01-31-2017, 06:55 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Those were Hertz horns. Very comparable.

The thing with the 4180 and the crossover is most guys have been crossing their amp at 80-90 hz which is pretty high and still get good bass from them. I really think what rapes the lows the most is the LL. If you really want awesome sound you need a micro DSP in your fairing. Those are coming soon too!

Last edited by BaggerAudioLab; 01-31-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:29 AM
black01
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Im waiting patently for a DSP. But even with the LL's I still have way more bass with the AW than I did with my 602's.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:14 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
Those were Hertz horns. Very comparable.

The thing with the 4180 and the crossover is most guys have been crossing their amp at 80-90 hz which is pretty high and still get good bass from them. I really think what rapes the lows the most is the LL. If you really want awesome sound you need a micro DSP in your fairing. Those are coming soon too!
Running the DDAW6.5s & T2s with the JL amp & stock 6.5 Boom Box head unit.

I'm having to set the bass to maximum and the treble to minimum, otherwise the tweeters are too bright. This doesn't seem normal, but then again, this is my first Rushmore.

Is this normal?

Are there any adjustments that can be made to the BT355? (It's set a default)

Will a DSP allow me to take some of the brightness out of the tweeters?

Quick Reply: Question on the DD AW 6.5 w/tweeter setups