Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5k Service Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:08 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 5k Service Questions

My local Harley jacked up their service rates due to new ownership, so since I have the service manual, I figured I'd start doing the services myself - starting with the 5k.

In going through the checklist, I've already got the oil changed with Mobile 1. Had to summon the strength of Thor to remove the oil filter which gave me some doubts on my previous service.

I'm currently on "check and lubricate throttle controls" which seems straight forward. I can understand due to having to pretty much undo the throttle cables, they would need to be adjusted.

My question is on the "adjust & lubricate clutch controls". I see you have to basically remove the clutch cable to get the lube in the housing, so then you'd have to adjust the lever free play back to 1/8th.

In the manual, the clutch adjustment section seems more involved than that since you have to mess with the clutch inspection cover and stuff. Is that considered a separate item than the lubrication process?

I guess what I'm asking is if I do the clutch cable lubrication and adjust as needed, how do I know if the clutch itself needs to be adjusted? What am I looking for to verify that the clutch is properly adjusted as per the service manual? I don't notice any issues with it when riding so I'm really not sure. Is it common to have to adjust it after only 5k?

Apologies for the newbie question but I'm still learning and the forums have helped me greatly in the past.

Last edited by Torpedo1; 01-23-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:10 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

If the clutch doesn't slip when you're cruising along in 4th gear and start rolling hard up into 5th, you're good to go! No further adjustment is required!

Old 01-24-2017, 09:01 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

It's hard to explain the clutch adjustment, however watch a couple you tube videos, and you will find its very easy. No my opinion, it's on the same skill level as an oil change. Be sure to do it with the bike cold. I really don't have to adjust my clutch very often. I check it every time, but usually adjust it through the cable. If you don't touch the actual clutch assembly, you should be ok. If it were me, I would adjust the cable so there's all slack, then pull the clutch cable tube away from where it goes into the clutch lever, and spray the lube in it without removing it.

no apologies, I don't care if you've done this for 10 min, or 10 years, everyone is gonna have questions from time to time. Any questions, just ask.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:37 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

All covered in the service manual.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:43 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
All covered in the service manual.
i hate when people do this, no offense to the person who posted it, it's just that the service manual can make things look much more intimidating then they actually are, especially for those with less experience. I'd strongly suggest you read the service manual first, but be sure to watch some you tube videos after. There's a ton of em out there.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:57 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

Not my opinion. My cables have never been lubricated. Stock cable now have a teflon inner sleeve and will last the life time of them. If they ever get tight, lube may help but I would get new ones.

Originally Posted by Torpedo1

I'm currently on "check and lubricate throttle controls" which seems straight forward. I can understand due to having to pretty much undo the throttle cables, they would need to be adjusted. forget this

My question is on the "adjust & lubricate clutch controls". I see you have to basically remove the clutch cable to get the lube in the housing, so then you'd have to adjust the lever free play back to 1/8th.

In the manual, the clutch adjustment section seems more involved than that since you have to mess with the clutch inspection cover and stuff. Is that considered a separate item than the lubrication process? Forget lube cable but check clutch adjuster back off at about 3/4 turn and make the 1/8 dimension 1/16 at the tightest bar lock to lock position. Once you do this, just adjust the cable occasionally for a long time unless you are rough and a hot-rodder on it. Go on Utube and watch videos..Do not overtighten that adjust at the clutch cover. Be sure you have proper correct tight fit quality torx tool for cover. Make sure to screw it in past no freeplay and then back to no play before backing off. Lever the lever while you check for no play. Do not adjust the cable too lose like they imply in the manual to do before adjusting the no play. You need to be able to lever it some. This adjustment is difficult for beginners to get right. 50% of newbys do not get it to no freeplay and then backoff and the lever will not dissengage engine. DO THIS SETTING COLD

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-24-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

To be completely honest I never lubricate mine either.
That being said, I change my oil/primary/trans fluid every 2k religiously cause for about 40 bucks and a half hour, **** why not.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:01 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
i hate when people do this, no offense to the person who posted it, it's just that the service manual can make things look much more intimidating then they actually are, especially for those with less experience. I'd strongly suggest you read the service manual first, but be sure to watch some you tube videos after. There's a ton of em out there.
none taken.

Trust the process laid out in the book the first few times then use short cuts ar your own risk and you build confidence.

Youtube vids are all different and sometimes you can see that something is being done incorrectly or a modified method. The only way youd know thay is by following the manual or, at least, reading the process subjustice.

dont throw a fit because you dont want to the work, or something looks complicated, or think theres an easier way. There often is but, when things go wrong, that book will save you.

reading through a job prior to start helps you asks the right questions when you need help.

so yes, all covered in the service manual.

Last edited by cvaria; 01-24-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Cvaria, I agree 100%. That's why I personally, like to watch a couple videos, and compare to what sm calls for. The point of watching the video is more so the op can see how simple it really is. I was the same way when I first started. To be honest, I was afraid to do my own work. But after growing *****, AND almost 8 years as a Chrysler tech, now I'm afraid to have someone else do the work lol

Old 01-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
I agree..lazy mans way of increasing his post count. But what more can you say about someone who would kick a cat.

Quick Reply: 5k Service Questions