Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:19 PM
varider12$
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Warranty

So I am in the process of buying a 2014 ultra classic w/ 40k bike appears to be in good shape, but is out of warranty. The selling dealer(not HD dealer) is offering(no pressure)an extended warranty RPM ONE basically 2 yr $1,000 no deductible all the fine print looks ok. Looking for any wisdom on should I go for it or roll the dice? Anyone with any experience please chime in. Thanks

Old 01-24-2017, 01:26 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Warranty- 2 years, unlimited mileage on a new bike- from the manufacturer

other than that you are looking at a "Service Contract"- only you have access to the terms of this contract, so nobody else can guess the value if any.
The contracts not only vary by issuer but also by State.

DO NOT think this is a warranty it isn;t.

ask yourself- what are the exclusions- can I change the oil or do they determine who changes the oil? at what cost?
what if they go out of business, what States am i covered in, who does the service if a problem happens?
How about the owner who buys a contract on a used bike and at first problem has the claim denied because the previous owner changed a part?

so many of these 3rd parties opened up, collected money and went out of business.
google the name of the company and better business bureau
( the name you provided and BBB comes up with a number of complaints)

buyer beware

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-24-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:32 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,403 Likes on 4,013 Posts

Originally Posted by varider12$
So I am in the process of buying a 2014 ultra classic w/ 40k bike appears to be in good shape, but is out of warranty. The selling dealer(not HD dealer) is offering(no pressure)an extended warranty RPM ONE basically 2 yr $1,000 no deductible all the fine print looks ok. Looking for any wisdom on should I go for it or roll the dice? Anyone with any experience please chime in. Thanks
Put that $1K in a savings account and at the end of two years, the odds are, you will have money left in your account. Service contracts are money makers. That means they pay out less than they take in.... all their research says they'll make money on you... make money for yourself..

With 40K on the bike, any manufacturing defects are dealt with. You will just be paying for maintenance items or stuff you break....

I never buy them... but I don't know how you ride, how much you ride, or how much you can fix yourself...

Good luck with your decision..

Old 01-24-2017, 05:17 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

As said, it's not a warranty. It's really more of an insurance policy.
I agree, I don't usually buy one preferring to self insure. Having said that, my bike, bought used from a private seller came with the HD transferable policy. The PO bought it when he bought the bike. During it's 5 year lifespan it paid for itself almost 3 times over. It paid for a complete engine rebuild/upgrade for the PO and a voltage regulator, throttle return cable, front master cylinder and a set of tires for me.
As to whether that particular policy is good or not, you will have to read it closely and decide for yourself. Compare it to other policies, (price, coverage, exclusions, availability of repair shops, etc). These policies are available from, among others, HD and probably even from your auto insurer.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:51 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I have the HD ESP on my bike and I've about paid for it already in 2 repairs since the warranty ran out in October. Modern bikes are getting more technical, and expensive to repair. I don't get extended warranties on all of my vehicles, but most of the ones I've had, have more than paid for themselves.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:28 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

used the extended warranty twice on my 2013 RG...plug leaking on primary, once again for alternator not charging. Warranty was running out and I thought since I
hardly used it, I would let it slide. Took a ride from Florida up to S. Carolina....and on the way home, my stereo head unit no longer has a display.
Hindsight..

Old 01-24-2017, 07:39 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by varider12$
You figure they offer it since it is a money maker for them. Ergo, not getting it means you are likely going to be ahead of the game.

The other thing is POM (Peace Of Mind) for you. That may be worth something.

I have gotten them and have not as well. I think it is pretty much a break even or I am ahead of it a bit.

For what it is worth........

Oh, there are other companies that offer insurance as well. I had one and they were really good. I can look it up on who they were if u like. I think I still have their ppwk someplace. I bot a new bike so no longer needed that insurance.

BuzzCap7

Old 01-25-2017, 06:27 AM
varider12$
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
You figure they offer it since it is a money maker for them. Ergo, not getting it means you are likely going to be ahead of the game.

The other thing is POM (Peace Of Mind) for you. That may be worth something.

I have gotten them and have not as well. I think it is pretty much a break even or I am ahead of it a bit.

For what it is worth........

Oh, there are other companies that offer insurance as well. I had one and they were really good. I can look it up on who they were if u like. I think I still have their ppwk someplace. I bot a new bike so no longer needed that insurance.

BuzzCap7
That would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-25-2017, 08:23 AM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

I have bought them for both of the Harley's I have owned. The first was a used V-Rod, and it payed for itself in the 4 years I owned it. So the Road Glide used I felt safer going this route as well. The head-unit on the Special is 2500.00, so "If" it were to go, then I am out 50 bucks. It is also available for use at all dealers. I bought the HD ESP

Old 01-25-2017, 11:18 AM
Stick_FSMC
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

I bought my 2012 RGU with 22 miles on it. I paid $1950 for the 7 year/unlimited mileage ESP.

First year, Voltage Regulator went out, replaced at no charge. ??? Value.
48K miles, Stator went out, took out regulator and while in the primary, splines on the clutch hub were found to be bad and the compensator sprocket was badly worn, all parts replaced at no charge. $2700 value
59K miles, Cam chain tensioner went out, sent metal through the whole engine. Engine replaced with a new long block at no charge. $7000+ value.

So far, the ESP has saved me nearly $10,000 at a cost of $1950.

While I agree that the ESP are a usually a money maker for the company, but if you need it, it was money well spent.

To me, it's the same as having insurance on your bike, you hope that you never need it, but if you're in a wreck, you'll be very happy you have it.

Quick Reply: Warranty