Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:35 PM
Great08
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default engine cooling fans

Anyone have experience with engine cooling fans, like, Love Jugs, and others? Are they worth the money? Do they make a difference in low-speed situations on hot days? My local HD shop says the bike doesn't need one.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:11 PM
dpoll995
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

My local dealer also told me that I don't need an oil cooler, they said if the bike gets too hot the computer would shut the engine off. "That what I want, to be sitting on the side of the freeway in heavy traffic on a bike that's 300+ degrees waiting for it to cool off."(sarcasm)... I just installed an oil cooler, billet oil filter, and filter relocation kit. Fans are coming soon, as soon as wards werks is making they again. If you are some where with the possibility of getting stuck in heavy traffic, work on getting something to help keep the temps down. Also it will perform better.

The following 2 users liked this post by dpoll995:
Great08 (02-19-2017), twoglides13 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm looking into a jagg fan assisted oil cooler, and cooling fans (haven't decided which yet). My street bob (103) used to overheat in stop and go traffic, now I have a lrs with a 117. Yesterday it was 68 and within 5 min of stop and go traffic, i could tell it was overheating. I shut it off and push it. I'm not ****in around with a motor I just built. I'd still like to monitor my oil, head, & cylinder temps if Powervision will let me that way I can see how much of a difference the cooler/fans make. I'd like to not have to worry if I hit stop and go traffic.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:47 PM
dpoll995
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
I'm looking into a jagg fan assisted oil cooler, and cooling fans (haven't decided which yet). My street bob (103) used to overheat in stop and go traffic, now I have a lrs with a 117. Yesterday it was 68 and within 5 min of stop and go traffic, i could tell it was overheating. I shut it off and push it. I'm not ****in around with a motor I just built. I'd still like to monitor my oil, head, & cylinder temps if Powervision will let me that way I can see how much of a difference the cooler/fans make. I'd like to not have to worry if I hit stop and go traffic.

Take a look at the ultracool oil cooler. Dual fans, 220cfm, screw on hoses, and metal cover, and billet adapter. I spoke to one of the guys at ultracool. They were very friendly and helped me with all the questions I had. So far I have been pretty happy with it. the fans come off and on as needed, it comes with a led indicator light that will let you know when the fans are running.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:54 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

I was going to but been in siithing traffic many times in 100 plus temps, yes it's hot amid the TPMS (or something like that) kicks on but my bike ran fine fir 92000 miles without it, now with a transplanted 103HO it might be different, I will see plus I don't ride as much as I used to.
In my opinion , if you are in northern states, you don't really need them. Won't hurt anything but I don't think you will have any issues without them.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:03 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
There's only one sensor, it's located at the back of the front cylinder near the head; it is displayed as 'engine temperature' in the Power Vision. The cylinder head temperature that will display in the Power Vision is an algorithm based off of the engine temperature and intake temperature. No sensor for oil temperature.

To keep that engine as cool as possible: great tune, free flowing exhaust, A/C venting crankcase gasses to atmosphere, tank lift, permanent oil filter, oil cooler, and oil filter relocation. I've done all these things and my Power Vision observed engine temperatures are significantly lower; like by quite a bit

Not going to put fans on my ride; they're too damn ugly for words. Improving your cooling is a step by step process but the end results are worth the efforts

Old 02-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

I will definitely look into the ultra cool. Yea I'm doin a tank lift too, don't want a permanent oil filter but yea I do need to start lookin into venting the crankcase to the atmosphere

Old 02-19-2017, 09:45 PM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

They 'might' help with cooling but so do other things . . The fans just look so damn cheesy to me . . . plus, I want less 'things / gadgets on my bike / not more. Of course we are all different.

Last edited by NYC.streetkid; 02-19-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:38 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Yes, less is more, if you're trapped in traffic split lanes, easy peasy. That being said, I use a rather custom inline Setrab (Jagg) 10 row oil cooler with Earls plumbing and K&N P/N KN173B oil filter, the oil cooler, filter and lines adds about a pint to the total oil capacity, every little bit helps.

Name:  20170219_211158.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  286.1 KB

Name:  20170219_211236.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  362.3 KB

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 02-19-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:11 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NYC.streetkid
They 'might' help with cooling but so do other things . . The fans just look so damn cheesy to me . . . plus, I want less 'things / gadgets on my bike / not more. Of course we are all different.

i agree 100% that's why I haven't decided which fans to go with yet because I hate all of them. However lane splitting is illegal in mi, and I give the state/government enough of my money so I will have to do something.

Quick Reply: engine cooling fans