Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Leak - Repair Preparation

Old 02-18-2017, 10:44 PM
bellmnbell
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Primary Leak - Repair Preparation

2007 FLHX - I think I've ordered everything I'll need:

Primary Gaskets (34934-06, 34901-07, 17369-06), Shifter Seal (37101-84B), Inner Primary Bolts (786A), Roller Bearing (9231), Main Seal (12052A), Chain Tensioner Assembly (39929-06A).

I have NO idea when this stuff was replaced last, so I'm figuring for everything. I purchased the bike with 50,000 miles. Hopefully the compensator won't need replacement too, I'm already $200.00 into parts and delivery.

I'll take some pictures and post them when I rip into it.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:34 AM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for listing the parts & numbers. I have a loose transmission shift lever I'm getting ready to pull the primary to fix, and since I'm gonna be in there and with almost 47,000 miles on the clock I wanna check everything out. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:15 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Um, primary leak? Have you identified the source/area of the leak? Sometimes, maybe even often, the source of a primary leak is the rubber plug that seals the stator wires. I chased a primary leak for two weeks after a clutch change. I had reused the old gasket and had a front leak, pulled the old and used a new gasket - still leaked. Pulled it and reinstalled with rtv and, you guessed it, still leaked. At that point I knew it wasn't the gasket and looked harder until I noticed oil seeping from behind that plug.
The "correct" MoCo fix is to replace the complete stator, a few hundred dollars for the part plus labor. The DIY/shadetree/cheap fix is to throughly clean around and behind the plug and seal it with black rtv. Some people consider it sacrilege to clean and seal because the MoCo doesn't sanction that repair. I think it's pretty dumb to replace a part that's working well, the stator, spending several hundred dollars in the process just because HD can't design a seal that won't leak.
l am curious why, if you're going to replace all those parts, you wouldn't go ahead and replace the clutch pack as well? After all, it is the only real "wear" part in there...

Old 02-19-2017, 09:17 AM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

While your in there inspect the inner primary bearing and bearing race also the small transmission shaft seal. If it is the shaft seal once you get the bearing race out of the way the seal can be removed with a small pick put the new seal in the freezer for a while then tap in with a piece of 1" pvc I learned all that the hard way

Old 02-20-2017, 12:25 PM
flyingdutchman
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get the inner primary off, the source may become clear. I'll throw in my $.02, don't overlook the shifter shaft seal. I used to clean my Road King with a well known "spray and rinse" cleaner. Short story, that stuff doesn't play well with steel parts if they don't get completely dry so the shifter shaft corroded, then ate the seal. I had to disassemble the trans (not as hard as it sounds, at least on my '03), and replace both the shifter shaft and the seal. Too many people just replace the seal. Also, no more "spray and rinse for me".

Old 02-20-2017, 01:32 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

While your in there,changeover to a 31 tooth pulley.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

My leak was the shifter shaft seal.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:31 PM
bellmnbell
Advanced
Default Now what????

Thanks for the advise on where to keep a look out! The biggest problem I've run into is the Rotor & Spring Cover Assembly! Half of it is MISSING! Take a look at the photos and fill me in on where to find this part. The previous owner MUST have pulled chunks of metal out of the housing and just LEFT IT! WTF!

Old 02-22-2017, 02:39 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Check here: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....GE%20REGULATOR

40356-07 ROTOR & SPRING COVER ASSEMBLY

I looked for a 2007 FLHX..

Old 02-22-2017, 02:48 PM
bellmnbell
Advanced

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Check here: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....GE%20REGULATOR

40356-07 ROTOR & SPRING COVER ASSEMBLY

I looked for a 2007 FLHX..
Correct, 2007 FLHX, however that is not the configuration of the part that I removed from my machine. My broken part has the spring holder that faces the compensator and the part on the microfiche does not. Not sure way?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Primary Leak - Repair Preparation