Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering stem bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:42 PM
W.Glide
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default steering stem bearings

Just a heads up for some of you guys that are experiencing a front end rattle over bumps. Check your steering stem bearing adjustment. Mine has rattled in the front end since riding it off the dealers lot, and yesterday I decided to check the adjustment. After reading about the "fall away" method which I thought was a pretty crappy way to adjust them, I took off the steering stem cover, loosened the 1 1/2" steering stem nut, and loosened the top triple tree clamp bolts. At that point I pulled the bars up to expose the bearing adjuster with the bike on the ground and simply spun the adjustment nut with my finger to take slack out. I then tightened the 1 1/2" stem nut, and then the top triple tree bolts. After this I jacked up the front end and made sure there was no binding, which there wasn't. I took it on a good ride yesterday, and today, and not a hint of rattle on bumps and it drives better than ever. I just hit 700 miles today.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:44 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Stering head rattle

Originally Posted by W.Glide
Just a heads up for some of you guys that are experiencing a front end rattle over bumps. Check your steering stem bearing adjustment. Mine has rattled in the front end since riding it off the dealers lot, and yesterday I decided to check the adjustment. After reading about the "fall away" method which I thought was a pretty crappy way to adjust them, I took off the steering stem cover, loosened the 1 1/2" steering stem nut, and loosened the top triple tree clamp bolts. At that point I pulled the bars up to expose the bearing adjuster with the bike on the ground and simply spun the adjustment nut with my finger to take slack out. I then tightened the 1 1/2" stem nut, and then the top triple tree bolts. After this I jacked up the front end and made sure there was no binding, which there wasn't. I took it on a good ride yesterday, and today, and not a hint of rattle on bumps and it drives better than ever. I just hit 700 miles today.
I added a little motor oil to the upper and lower bearing cups and completely got rid of the rattle. You may have to repeat every 6-9 months. I believe the rattle is from the bearings and a little oil did the trick for me.
Roger

Old 02-20-2017, 02:23 AM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

You want to put a bit of load on that bearing. I'm guessing without a load you'll be feeling that rattle again sooner rather than later.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:35 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 835 Likes on 370 Posts

Dyna neck bearing go out of alignment often. Tops of threads on this with 2 in the last 2 weeks about it

straight forward. If you own a dyna and get vibration at a certain speed. Aka. 50-55. Or 60-65. Or 30-3

check your neck bearings first. 8 of 10 people will agree. Neck bearings are usually the culprit

Old 02-20-2017, 10:56 AM
-deuced-
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rogersachs
I added a little motor oil to the upper and lower bearing cups and completely got rid of the rattle. You may have to repeat every 6-9 months. I believe the rattle is from the bearings and a little oil did the trick for me.
Roger
Oil in the steering head bearings ? That'll take a lot less than 6 months to drip out. If they are rattling and you've been using oil they probably need replacing.
Steering head bearings require grease and adjustment.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:29 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by rogersachs
Roger
Don't neglect a fall-away check/adjustment. Hate to hear it if your bearings fail and seize up on you while going down the road.