General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far do you go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 06:54 PM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts
Default How far do you go?

Hello. Im almost back in the brotherhood again (and sisterhood). I have been away for 15 years with 30 years experience. I went through a rider safety course with my wife in 1998, the 2 week version every evening. The one thing that haunts me is the clothing protection they continued to teach at the class. It is very hot in Kansas so its hard to "bundle"up!
How far do you guys go? Ive been looking online and the protection is very expensive and amazing. When I rode last the cell phone was carried by rich people and the size of a shoe box. In a catastrophe is the money invested worth every penny??? Or are you going to be lifewatched anyway. Could I get some advice on a good balance so I dont pass out in the heat?
Thanks for all your help...seeya on the road!

Old 02-24-2017, 07:07 PM
teedubbyaw
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I live in Texas so I can empathize with you. I always wore leather in my sport bike days no matter the temperature. These days I wear mesh. Mesh jackets allow a ton of flow, have armor built in, but certainly won't protect as well as leather. Textile is another option, but its typically just as breathable as perforated leather. A good option is a mesh core and textile arms.

The following users liked this post:
blacktop37 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:08 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Personal choice. Wear whatever it takes to make you feel protected.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:14 PM
blacktop37
Tourer

Ok thanks

Old 02-24-2017, 07:28 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

Evaporation is your friend. Don't compromise safety.

Mesh jacket , pour a bottle of water over your shirt, wear a wet bandana, several ways to stay cool.

How hot is hot to you ? Humidity and temp?

I am interested in checking out some of these "kevlar shirts". Wonder how effective they are.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:37 PM
blacktop37
Tourer

Ive been watching youtube sooo many choices. And can get very confusing. The thing I cant stop thinking about as Im getting on in years is onlyif I would have spent a little more.

Originally Posted by JesseDyna
Evaporation is your friend. Don't compromise safety.

Mesh jacket , pour a bottle of water over your shirt, wear a wet bandana, several ways to stay cool.

How hot is hot to you ? Humidity and temp?

I am interested in checking out some of these "kevlar shirts". Wonder how effective they are.
I watched Revzilla and they were talking about jeans that allows a 11 second slide $300 ouch how fast is it will you slide further than 11 sec

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-24-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:48 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

South Florida here. I just wear jeans, T shirt, good boots and a half helmet. If it rains maybe rain gear if it's not too hot out otherwise leather, but only when the temps are under 75 or so.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

You'll see people from both ends of the spectrum. There are the ATGATT. They want every square in covered and some will spend $1000s on their gear. There are those that wear shorts, a wife beater and flip flops. It's all a matter of choice. I believe in that choice.

I wear a helmet and will wear some sort of jacket most of the time. I wear boots and jeans. Although, I have been thinking about getting protective pants.

You can get gear in all price levels if you're serious about safety.

blacktop37 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:44 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

In the hot months of summer...90° and up...I wear a long sleeve, moisture wicking shirt to keep my skin out of the sun. After 5 skin cancer operations, I try to stay sun free. A couple of summers ago, I wore regular t-shirts and kept SPF 110 on my arms.

blacktop37 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:50 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by blacktop37
Hello. Im almost back in the brotherhood again (and sisterhood). I have been away for 15 years with 30 years experience. I went through a rider safety course with my wife in 1998, the 2 week version every evening. The one thing that haunts me is the clothing protection they continued to teach at the class. It is very hot in Kansas so its hard to "bundle"up!
How far do you guys go? Ive been looking online and the protection is very expensive and amazing. When I rode last the cell phone was carried by rich people and the size of a shoe box. In a catastrophe is the money invested worth every penny??? Or are you going to be lifewatched anyway. Could I get some advice on a good balance so I dont pass out in the heat?
Thanks for all your help...seeya on the road!
While you are receiving decent advice here, it isn't a terrible idea to retake the BRC since it's been 20 years. Very few riders will admit that it is "the same as it was, back in '98."

Motorcycle personal protection has come a long way since you last rode.
Welcome back!

Quick Reply: How far do you go?