Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Riding along when motor seized!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:31 AM
unluckyluke
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding along when motor seized!!!

Hi guys yesterday i was riding, checked the plugs, everything, sounded good, idled good.

This morning I did some routine maintanance, cleaned my S&S Super E, realized the accelerator pump wasnt squirting right so i fixed that, went for a test ride, rode good for about 10 minutes then all of a sudden sounded like a wrench was in my motor.

I tried to make it home and before you knew it the motor locked up and I skidded to a stop!

WHATS THE FIRST THING I DO?

Last edited by unluckyluke; 02-27-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:43 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Sounds like POSSIBLY, what we term "swallowed a valve". Get it jacked up, rear wheel off the ground on stable jack. Pull the plugs and pushrods tube covers. Place in gear and see if you can turn the rear wheel while watching the pushrods movement. If no or difficult movement you probably dropped a valve. It's smacked a piston then just got stuck locking up the engine.

A second look to consider is pulling the primary cover to be sure all is well on the drive chain side.

Good luck and report back.

Last edited by Taggs; 02-27-2017 at 08:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
unluckyluke (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 AM
unluckyluke
Advanced

Alright i wil try to spin it ASAP. Whats the cause of swallowing a valve? I have never been internal on an engine. I have done many thing just never messed with pistons, valves rockers, and that stuff. Is it something your average joe can fix?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by unluckyluke
Alright i wil try to spin it ASAP. Whats the cause of swallowing a valve? I have never been internal on an engine. I have done many thing just never messed with pistons, valves rockers, and that stuff. Is it something your average joe can fix?
You can DIY this yourself but it would require certain special tools to make life easy. A service manual is a great way to start as well. Plenty of good advisers on this forum.

The cause in most cases is a failure or breakdown of the locking mechanism at the valve spring retainer/ locks. It's mostly an age related issue. it's a common design and has been pretty dependable in the combustion engine design for years. It's either that or possible valve spring broke but more likely the keepers failed at the retainer. It's also even possible a cam wiped out tossing valves out of time hitting Pistons.

Regardless, what your describing points to upper engine issues. First attempt to isolate engine from drive line to be certain. If needed, pull the primary chain to seperate the two then check as first described.

Last edited by Taggs; 02-27-2017 at 09:08 AM.
unluckyluke (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,460 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Could be a bunch of things that can cause it. I had a car drop a valve because the retainer clip popped off. I had one where the stem snapped (still have no idea how that happened) and of course just bad luck.

If you dropped a valve you need to pull the heads off and see how much damage was done to the pistons, piston walls, head and so forth.
I would take pictures and post in case you want some second opinions on damage and parts you need.
Good Luck and you just faced one of my fears. I dread having an engine lock up while riding.

unluckyluke (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

There's gonna be a WHOLE lot of guessing as to what caused your problem until you get out the tools and do some looking. Get a manual and get to it! :>)

unluckyluke (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 09:27 AM
unluckyluke
Advanced

When the sound started and i put my ear down by the motor sounded like something was in the front cylinder!!! Made all kinds of sounds i cant even describe. Had no rythym to it, just metal banging and clanging. IT WAS AWFUL considering I just finally got the bike running right.

What do I remove step by step so I can look inside? To fix a top end will the motor have to come out the frame? I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE DOING THAT!!!

I WILL TRY TO SPIN THE MOTOR BY HAND TONIGHT, LOOK INSIDE OF THE PRIMARY FOR ANY SIGNS OF DAMAGE, AND ALSO PUSH DOWN THE KICKSTARTER AND GET BACK TO U.

P.s. For Rene, when it locks up its like slamming the rear brake. You skid!!! In a straight away you will be ok if the bus behind you doesn't run over you. I was very lucky to not be in a curve!!!

Last edited by unluckyluke; 02-27-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

There is technology available to look inside the engine through the spark plug portal. You may even be able to see in there with light any top of piston damage. Otherwise just pulling the rocker box covers could reveal a valve out of place. Pulling the heads will not require out of frame to complete.

I would just encourage you before tearing down engine, isolate your engine/ transmission by pulling the primary chain. Sounds can be deceiving. They will transmit to cause you to think completely on opposite ends of what you are certain the noise is coming from.

Good luck

Old 02-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Pull the front plug and take a "look see" ... if there's anything happening in there it'll show ( more than likely ) on the plug.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 AM
unluckyluke
Advanced

Real quick before i head over to the bike.

Would kicking it over tell us the same as lifting it up, putting it in gear, and trying to turn the tire on the bike?

After removing the primary chain what am I looking for there?

What can a plug tell me at this stage?

Quick Reply: Riding along when motor seized!!!