General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Not Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts
Default I'm Not Crazy

I know I'm not losing my mind. At least I hope not. I parked the Sporty in October with a full tank of gas. I rode yesterday for the first time since then and I got about 10 miles before my gas light came on. There was no smell of gas and no sign of the bike leaking while parked in my detached outdoor building. After I got home (with a full tank) I kept a watch and I don't see any signs of a leak. I make no bones about the fact that I have zero mechanical abilities, however, I just cannot see someone taking the time to siphon 3 gallons of gas. I guess I could also be underestimating the lengths someone will go to steal. Ideas...Thoughts...?

Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Regardless, I don't think you are crazy.....

Old 02-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you, my friend.

Now....tell me what's wrong with my bike!!

Old 02-27-2017, 01:49 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Bike parked in a public place for 5 months? Bike shoulda been gone by then, lol.
Bike parked in your private garage for 5 months? You know the person that stole your gasoline, maybe even live with them.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:54 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,572 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Do you have a kids at home on a no to low budge? I have found my lawn tractor gas can empty before and a smile on my son's face when asked. Other then that the only thing I suggest is keeping an eye on every day and ck for leaks. no not crazy.

rk classic

Old 02-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

I know women never forget anything since I have been married to RIP for 49 years. However, I am going to guess your 2007 is FI. So it did not leak it out. So I am going to take liberties since I do not have to worry about you being mad.. ..and say October is a long time ago. I don't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

Now if you were RIP, I would go out and check all the fluids, peer with a light back under the tank around the injectors, where the line hooks to the tank, look up the gas charges on line for October on my AE card and such. Then, I would quit worrying about it.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 850 Likes on 412 Posts

It evaporates. I have two bikes that sit idle for several months each year. I always fill the tanks and add fuel stabilizer before I leave them. When I return, each tank is down about one third.
It's just the way of the universe, so, no, you're not nuts.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:09 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Hey chick Take off your oil cap and get a good wiff to see if gas leaked down into your oil.

The following 2 users liked this post by 6 gun:
Queen-of-Clubs (02-27-2017), TwiZted Biker (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gregs1200c
Do you have a kids at home on a no to low budge?
I haven't taught my boys how to siphon yet...and at 12 and 10, I don't think they are riding without me. At least I hope not....

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I know women never forget anything since I have been married to RIP for 49 years. However, I am going to guess your 2007 is FI. So it did not leak it out. So I am going to take liberties since I do not have to worry about you being mad.. ..and say October is a long time ago. I don't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

Now if you were RIP, I would go out and check all the fluids, peer with a light back under the tank around the injectors, where the line hooks to the tank, look up the gas charges on line for October on my AE card and such. Then, I would quit worrying about it.
Thank you RIP. I would never get mad at you and honestly, I forget practically everything if I don't makes notes in my smart phone. Which is why I have an APP that I use when I gas up. I record the mileage, etc. knowing my forgetfulness, I already confirmed it. I will do as you suggest and look for issues underneath.

Originally Posted by qtrracer
You know the person that stole your gasoline, maybe even live with them.
The only suspects are minors....or neighbors.

Originally Posted by Uncle Peepers
It evaporates. I have two bikes that sit idle for several months each year. I always fill the tanks and add fuel stabilizer before I leave them. When I return, each tank is down about one third.
It's just the way of the universe, so, no, you're not nuts.
I did not use stabilizer. That much will evaporate in a few months?

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Hey chick Take off your oil cap and get a good wiff to see if gas leaked down into your oil.
Are you pulling my leg?? LOL

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-28-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:16 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,630 Likes on 4,624 Posts

I don't care if you are crazy!! You're beautiful too!

Quick Reply: I'm Not Crazy