Sponsored by:

Difficult to get into neutral

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:49 AM
M8Deeve
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Difficult to get into neutral

Just got my FLHTK yesterday morning, took it out for a short ride. Tried to get it into neutral and I had much difficulty. Tried it a few separate times and it was not easy.

Anyone else finding this. Every bike I have ever had has been a breeze to get into neutral. There is always a noticeable bump dropping down from second into neutral. Doesnt seem to be there on this trans.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2017, 01:58 AM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

Usually when my clutch is adjusted right I have no problem but rolling forward makes finding neutral easier for me.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:12 AM
M8Deeve
Advanced

Originally Posted by vonh12
Usually when my clutch is adjusted right I have no problem but rolling forward makes finding neutral easier for me.
What kind of adjustment did you do?

I literally sat there for about 2 minutes clicking up and down trying to find neutral. Bike is brand new. 6 kms on it

Old 03-23-2017, 03:01 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

New ones, are often a pain to find neutral, by completion of break in or sooner you should be golden.

The following users liked this post:
Ghost88 (08-28-2021)
Old 03-23-2017, 04:03 AM
Johnny!
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
New ones, are often a pain to find neutral, by completion of break in or sooner you should be golden.
agreed, also much easier to find while still moving

Old 03-23-2017, 04:30 AM
Hammerhead59
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by M8Deeve
Just got my FLHTK yesterday morning, took it out for a short ride. Tried to get it into neutral and I had much difficulty. Tried it a few separate times and it was not easy.

Anyone else finding this. Every bike I have ever had has been a breeze to get into neutral. There is always a noticeable bump dropping down from second into neutral. Doesnt seem to be there on this trans.

Thanks
There is another thread on here with others saying the same thing. In my opinion it takes a bit more of a softer touch. You will get use to quick.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:47 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

I can see where some could find getting it into neutral more difficult on a M8. I have not had an issue with it but as Hammerhead 59 said above it takes a softer touch or atleast mine seems to over my TC.

You only have 3 miles on the bike so spend some time on it and you will get the feel, there is no real distinct "click" into neutral. Finding it while moving is always easier, rocking the bike forward and backward may help you as well.

I lowered my heal shifter on the splines to the lowest position that would still allow me to shift without it hitting the boards which I think makes heel shifts easier as you do not have to lift your heel as much, as a result I find that it is easier to find neutral coming up from first using the heel

Old 03-23-2017, 07:25 AM
Waterman1
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
I had the same issue and would agree that it gets better with age.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:57 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,245 Likes on 3,623 Posts

They get better with age.. The new clutch in the M8 drags a bit but will get better as the miles pile on. The first gear clutch dogs will smooth out some.. Going to a 85W-140 gear oil in the tranny helps little also. I don't use heal shifter so wedging the foot between the floorboard and lever allows for better control on foot movement when shifting from 1st to neutral.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:19 AM
M8Deeve
Advanced

ok. Thanks for the opinion folks. I wont worry about it then

One other thing thing I noticed is that the engine doesnt get killed when the kickstand is put down. Every bike except my first 2 have had that feature. Really helpful when parking on an incline or bad situation. you can keep both hands on the bars and kill the engine by putting the stand down. Now you I will have to either use the ignition or the kill switch.

not a big deal but a change.

Quick Reply: Difficult to get into neutral