General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DMV cancelled my registration for a out-of-state Bike

Old 03-25-2017, 02:44 PM
zouko
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DMV cancelled my registration for a out-of-state Bike

Hi,

A week ago I bought a bike in San Francisco that was register in Oregon. I went to the DMV and register it, everything was very easy until I get a call few days after from the DMV telling me my bike is not 50-state california-approved. I didn't know the 7500 miles rules for new bikes. My bike is from 2007 but has only 6200 miles on it.

I went to AAA, 2 motorcycle garages and nobody give me a solution on how I can solve the issue.
The DMV just tell me it can't be registered but has no solution about it.

Is there any way I can change some equipments on it or do something so I can register it? The DMV flagged the bike and it looks like the only way I can unlock that is to prove the bike respect the california rules. I contacted Harley and they just told me the bike is 49-state approved and didn't give me any solution.

Anyone has an idea?
Right now I only have the Oregon title with my name on the bike to say I bought it.

Thanks.

Top Answer

03-25-2017, 04:57 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Easy answer is to move the hell out of California...

Old 03-25-2017, 03:02 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I am aware of the ruling as well. When I was looking at possibly getting a used one out of state the seller offered to keep it in his name til we got the 7500 miles on it. California also says needs to be registered for at least one year.

So to answer your question ride it like you stole it, hahahahaha, no actually ride the dickens and get some miles on her.

Or jack the bike up as to get the rear tire off the ground. Get a big fan, turn it on high and start the bike. Shift it in a high gear and let her run. Check the engine temp from time to time, don't let her get too hot.

Other than those ideas IDK Good Luck

Old 03-25-2017, 03:09 PM
zouko
Novice

Thanks for replying.

I though about doing that but now that they know I bought it at 6200 miles it would not even matter if I come back with >7500 miles, right?

In the mail I got back from them it looks like they flagged the bike and it will never be approved to drive in California with 7500 miles or not.
The mail also said I can't sell it in California.

It's like the bike doesn't exist for them anymore.. I have no idea what to do with it.

Is there any modification on the bike that I can do to make it 50-state certified?

Old 03-25-2017, 03:09 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Or take a LONG ride.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:10 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,226 Likes on 11,134 Posts

Sounds like you gave about 1,300 miles of riding to do,

Sorry, but to anyone that has been in California for any period of time, it's known that there are regulations on a California resident buying an out of state vehicle.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:10 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,810 Likes on 17,447 Posts

What he said ride the hell out of it, it's nor cal you shouldn't have any problem getting the needed miles in a few weeks if the weather holds. Keep the current tags make sure it's insured and get busy chances of running afoul of the law is slim to none.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:17 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master

On another note, you say you bought it in San Fran. Was the orig owner in San Fran and registered in Oregon???? Maybe clarify that.

As far as what you might due to make it legal. Hate to say probably not. The read the VIN and that tells them everything. Yeah you could put a smog canister on it, but they don't look at the bike, just the VIN.

Are you married? Any family living near you?
My thought would be to get the miles needed on the bike. Maybe have a family member try and register it with the needed miles and see what happens. If it works, then register it in your name.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,737 Likes on 18,543 Posts

As stated earlier ... It's California ... Ride it. 1,300 miles isn't a big chore. A weekend trip and you're all set

Old 03-25-2017, 03:33 PM
zouko
Novice

I would have done that if I knew the 7500miles rules.

But now the DMV knows I tried to register it at 6200 miles, they will not let me register it with a different odometer, right?
The letter specify it's the number of miles at the time of the purchase, they will find it weird... Even if I change it on the title, they probably have that in their system?

Not married. I bought the bike from a guy that was doing a road trip in US and ended the trip in San Francisco, he is out of the country right now.

It's hard to believe that there is no solution for that?! I was ok to pay a fine so I can register it but they said it's not even possible.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:40 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master

I would go back to the DMV and start a good conversation with them.

The letter states you can't register it or even sell it in California. Ask them WTF, well you know what I mean, if you can't register it or sell it you don't want to be stuck with it.

If all else fails, and it just might, call Chesters HD in Reno, or a out of state dealer, and see if they would be willing to buy it from you as a trade in maybe.

Just keep in mind that what you find in used needs to have been registered at least one year and the unforgettable 7500 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DMV cancelled my registration for a out-of-state Bike