Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strapping down to a trailer, what's best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:13 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Strapping down to a trailer, what's best?

I have a chock mounted and run a strap through the wheel to the front of the trailer. I use soft ties to the handlebars and to the tour pack mounting frame to the four corners of the trailer.
I have come to dislike this method. I have done the usual interweb searches and seen many different ways but wanted to see what the forum does for theirs.
My current leaning is towards the Kury front tie down points but not sure for the rear.

If it matters the bike is an 07 Ultra Classic.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

I run the strap around the forks just above the fender bolts, and then simply wrap a strap around the rear tire/wheel to keep the ***-end from moving around. It is not recommended to tie down so you have to compress the shocks, as you can blow the seals.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 AM
rollonfreebird
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I use a simple method, tie the handle bars down then run a strap thru the back wheel, I only put pressure on the forks when I'm transporting, never had any issues, no blown seals or horror stories just a simple method

Old 03-27-2017, 11:25 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
I run the strap around the forks just above the fender bolts, and then simply wrap a strap around the rear tire/wheel to keep the ***-end from moving around. It is not recommended to tie down so you have to compress the shocks, as you can blow the seals.
^^This... That is exactly what I do. The handle bars are the worst place to tie down to as they can slip in the mounts and loosen the straps until they come off. Watched that happen to my brothers bike.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 639 Likes on 390 Posts

You definitely don't want to secure the front so as to compress the struts....as another said, the best way is to secure with soft ties around the very lower portion of the front JUST ABOVE THE FENDER FASTENERS but below the compressible portion of the struts.

The following users liked this post:
Mr Fixit (08-15-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:25 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
I've seen that method. While it doesn't compress the front shocks it does leave a dynamic load on the trailer which doesnt thrill me either.
I have towed by tying to the handlebars for years and have never had a seal issue. Maybe because I don't try to fully compress the shocks? Also, there are many videos from HD dealers that say to use soft ties on the handlebars.
As for the rear I'd prefer hard points to strap to rather than the wheel.

Thanks for the responses so far. Please keep them coming.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:34 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

For 50 dollars i bough the hd fork tie-downs.....i trailer with a "5 point" strapdown system....the two rear are attached on the frame so the back-end doesn't shift on me....never had an issue...also I tape down the wratched sets on the straps, i did have one open up on me, just once.

The following 2 users liked this post by giacomo56:
cass (05-29-2017), Mr Fixit (08-15-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,917 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
^^This... That is exactly what I do. The handle bars are the worst place to tie down to as they can slip in the mounts and loosen the straps until they come off. Watched that happen to my brothers bike.
This is the best way for my two cents plus it works on all different kinds of bikes. Did the handle bar thing in the past, they move, rotate, screw up your riser bushings etc. Do not recommend that method at all. If you want the front end partially compressed, find another location below the riser bushings.

Rear is just for side to side and a little insurance in case a front strap gives up on you. I use the rear floor board mounts, maybe not the best but at least it is direct to the frame. I do not like the idea of using the sissy bar or tour pak mounts. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:44 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by rollonfreebird
I use a simple method, tie the handle bars down then run a strap thru the back wheel, I only put pressure on the forks when I'm transporting, never had any issues, no blown seals or horror stories just a simple method
Yep, the old blown fork seal myth. Never seen it happen either.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 03-27-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:23 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

This is how the factory does it, must work pretty well. Kinda puts the blown seal myth to rest too!

Attached Thumbnails Strapping down to a trailer, what's best?-20161123_142616.jpeg   Strapping down to a trailer, what's best?-20161123_142322.jpeg  

Last edited by sixguns; 03-27-2017 at 02:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Fixit (08-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Strapping down to a trailer, what's best?