Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Looking to fix up a shovehead for a project

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:41 AM
Matthew Valinsky
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to fix up a shovehead for a project

I saw this ad on Craigslist about a 1985 shovlehead for 4k that's been wrecked they said it is mechanically right just the frame is messed up. My questions is should I buy it and just find another frame and just switch everything to the other frame. Or what do you guys think?

Old 03-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

Spend the 4k on a complete running bike... and check the year on that one.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:00 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 1,909 Posts

"and check the year on that one."

Definitely!

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:18 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

There were a few Shovelheads sold in 1985. They primarily were intended for police use. There are several on another forum I subscribe to.

4K is way overpriced for a wrecked bike. As it sits not worth more than $1500. The frame will not be the only thing that is messed up guaranteed.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Matthew Valinsky
Intermediate

What other forums? I'm looking for a shovelhead or panhead to fix up and custom my own style

Old 03-27-2017, 02:22 PM
monckywrench
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

Posting other forums here might violate forum rules, but Google is your friend and you'd be wise to get good at using search engines.

Prices vary GREATLY by region. The recession has been over for a long time. I wouldn't give 4K for a typical wreck though. I'd have to evaluate the specific motorcycle.

Expect to completely rebuild whatever you buy and you won't be unpleasantly surprised. These machines are now elderly and used Shovels are often abused by a succession of owners. Title passes with frame after 1970 so you want a good frame with CLEAR title. No liens, no salvage etc.

Do a LOT of research before looking to buy one. There aren't many old Shovel and Pan mechanics left so it's all on you to produce your desired result even if you farm out work because you'll need to be an informed consumer to get what you want.

Shovels and Pans are a lot of fun but require you be a pretty good mechanic or determined to become one. Pans especially have gone through so much that you need to learn about serial and belly numbers to ensure you don't get ripped off.

I suggest making a cost spreadsheet to really understand how to get what you want from your purchase. Buy or download a factory service manual and parts catalog to aid in your research. You WILL need them and Harley have very good manuals.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:26 PM
aquadave
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

not getting into the 84-85 Shovel argument 4K is a lot to pay for just an old motor that more than likely you'll need to rebuild when you get it

Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,382 Likes on 4,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Valinsky
I saw this ad on Craigslist about a 1985 shovlehead for 4k that's been wrecked they said it is mechanically right just the frame is messed up. My questions is should I buy it and just find another frame and just switch everything to the other frame. Or what do you guys think?

Not gonna jump on you for your low post count ,lol, but we see a lot of new folks come on here that are obviously inexperienced but with big plans. Do as much research on Shovels (and Pans) as you can, including knowledgeable friends, then make an informed decision.

There's not a guy on this forum that would pay anywhere close to $4k for a wrecked (frame damaged) cone shovel.

Asking questions is how you learn, and these old bikes can be a lot of fun. Just don't get ahead of yourself.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:38 AM
tadamak
Stage II
Default Looking to fix up a shovehead for a project

I agree with all of the replies, do your research. I just purchased a 1981 FXB Sturgis for $4,000. It had 3,000 miles on a newly rebuilt motor and is great shape. It hasn't run in over 3 years, but was in heated storage. Needed new tires, carburetor rebuilding and the brakes were leaking. But other than that it was runnable. Need to be very mechanically inclined, buy a shop manual and be ready to be frustrated at breakdowns on the road.... it will happen. Previously owned a 79 shovel as well. Learned a LOT. But they are reasonably easy to work on, and with a few tools, wire, and zip ties, breakdowns can be managed!! Good luck!

Old 03-29-2017, 07:58 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
Not gonna jump on you for your low post count ,lol, but we see a lot of new folks come on here that are obviously inexperienced but with big plans. Do as much research on Shovels (and Pans) as you can, including knowledgeable friends, then make an informed decision.

There's not a guy on this forum that would pay anywhere close to $4k for a wrecked (frame damaged) cone shovel.

Asking questions is how you learn, and these old bikes can be a lot of fun. Just don't get ahead of yourself.
I would pay 4K for a frame damaged cone shovel. IF the frame was an easy straightening fix and it was one of the desirables that is worth big money, i.e., 71/72 FX, Confederate FXE, 83 FXDG, first year Low Rider, Original paint Flamed FXWG, or a Sturgis.

Quick Reply: Looking to fix up a shovehead for a project