General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance Tips Needed For Denim Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:09 AM
StuBerger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Tips Needed For Denim Paint

Hey all.. I just purchased a new 2017 SGS and it came in Charcoal Denim. I love it but have now been reading how hard it is to keep clean and in good shape. especially the older black denim.
I am aware there's the HD cleaner but until I get some, or maybe a better product, I do have some Srayway Glass Cleaner wo/ammonia. Would that be okay for fingerprints and other stuff or just warm water?
Also, when doing a regular full bike wash, is and non-wax based auto soap good or been reading Dawn works good but for the full bike?
And finally, been warned on not rubbing the finish with pressure but just how much wiping force can be used to like get bug guts off? And how much pressure can be used fir regular washing?
ANY tips, help, info would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I just wash it like normal with car wash soap and a mitt. The bugs come off just like any other paint that I've had.

Windex with ammonia is great for quick details.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:28 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

When I had my Fat Bob - it was with the denim black finish - I was pretty **** (still am) about keeping my bikes clean.
You're in the right track - the HD denim cleaner I found worked great. so did non ammonia Windex for wipe downs, clean with normal soap & water - always use a clean soft soap sponge & micro fiber towels.
rubbing of any type firmly and in the same spot - e.g. even a pant leg up against the tank will create a shinny spot
Careful not to scratch as the paint is soft & cannot be buffed out...

Old 03-27-2017, 11:33 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts
Old 03-27-2017, 11:39 AM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

In regards to the mention of non-ammonia windex, I have read that the owners manuals, from before harley came out with their denim cleaner, they recommended a glass cleaner WITH ammonia.

It has worked great for me. Just keep it away from plastic, I would recommend using plexus for that.

Edit: straight from a 2010 HD manual

Last edited by Br125; 03-27-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:21 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Whatever you do, DON'T rub it very hard. You'll end up with a gloss black spot.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:29 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

I had a bike for 3 years with the denim black. I never understood all the horror stories about keeping it looking good.
After every ride I wiped it down with the harley denim cleaner to get the bugs and grime off, and washed it twice a year. No problems, paint looked as good as new when I got rid of it. Granted I did not have it 10 years or something, but it was easy to care for imho, easier than gloss black. No swirl marks to build up or watch out for.
It was garage kept however, I did not leave it parked in the weather 24/7. I've seen some denim bikes kept outside that look awful.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by StuBerger
Hey all.. I just purchased a new 2017 SGS and it came in Charcoal Denim. Congrats. the charcoal denim is a sharp looking paint.

I love it but have now been reading how hard it is to keep clean and in good shape. especially the older black denim. Dont listen to them. it is not hard to keep clean or in good shape. I had a black denim road glide for 4 years, and over 40,000 miles. it still looked great when i traded it in.

I am aware there's the HD cleaner but until I get some, or maybe a better product, I do have some Srayway Glass Cleaner wo/ammonia. Would that be okay for fingerprints and other stuff or just warm water? The hd denim cleaner is okay, but not necessary. windex with ammonia works just fine.

Also, when doing a regular full bike wash, is and non-wax based auto soap good or been reading Dawn works good but for the full bike? i used waterless cleaner when i cleaned mine, but any car wash soap without shining agents is fine. dawn is a little strong but for occasional use is okay.

And finally, been warned on not rubbing the finish with pressure but just how much wiping force can be used to like get bug guts off? And how much pressure can be used fir regular washing? what causes the shiny spots is friction. if you use something that 'eats' the bug guts off, then you won't have to rub it much and won't cause shiny spots. peroxide works pretty good for that. as well as a large wet cloth just laid on there for a few minutes.

ANY tips, help, info would be greatly appreciated
this is my 4 year old roadglide

Name:  DSC_0236_zps0838bec2.jpg
Views: 6569
Size:  115.3 KB

Originally Posted by LonestarXL
I've seen some denim bikes kept outside that look awful.
i don't think that's necessarily because of the denim. i've seen some gloss paint jobs that look pretty bad as well.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:16 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I find black denim super easy to keep clean, I just use some HD sunwash a few times a year and the HD denim cleaner. Just make sure you don't wax or buff

Old 03-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

I had a black denim SG. It's true about the rub marks, so you do need to be careful. The HD denim cleaner is good, so you can't go wrong there. Personally, I use the Sprayway glass cleaner that you mentioned for pretty much everything and it's great. Inexpensive too. For bugs, just spray it on, let it foam up and sit for 5 mins. Respray and wipe off very gently.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Tips Needed For Denim Paint