Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Considering a Tri Glide- not sure its for me though

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts
Default Considering a Tri Glide- not sure its for me though

I'm a long time rider, I've owned several HDs and a ton of metric bikes. I've been on two wheels for over 35 years. I currently ride an '09 Road King Classic. So yesterday my wife and I were in the car talking about bikes and she mentioned we should look at getting a trike. Kinda caught me by surprise. I am 45 years old and I am not having any serious health problems or other issues that would prevent me from riding on two wheels but I will admit that I have thought about the trikes a few times. I like the idea of the trike but I don't know if I would like riding one. So a few questions come to mind and please excuse me if they have been beat to death already...
1- How is the ride on a trike? Is it as nice as my RKC or an EGC?
2- Are the rear shocks motorcycle shocks or car shocks?
3- How are they to work on? I do my own maintenance and anything else my skills allow me to do. Is the extra body work and rear end difficult?
4- I'm looking to buy used- any years or models to stay away from?
5- Any other info that I may need to be aware of?

Old 03-27-2017, 02:00 PM
NHBAGGER
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Tough questions as I am older and switched to extend my riding years.
I like the way it rides although with 3 wheels it is hard to miss bumps.
Shocks are MC but I upgraded mine to Pro-Action and really like them.
Not a mechanic but I don't see them as being difficult to work on.
Maybe the first couple of years as they developed. I went with a 14 based on reviews.
They do handle differently. Takes a bit to get used to. I kept my Bagger for one year after buying the trike and then realized we were always using the trike as it was real convenient and comfortable.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts

I had not even considered the bump avoidance. Hmm. One thing I think might be hard to adjust to would be when taking a corner. I am used to being able to lean it over and carve around the curve. No leans on a trike and if you are not centered in the lane the rear fender will be in the opposing traffics lane. I would need to be very cautious with that

Old 03-27-2017, 03:24 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

You can ask all the questions you want . You will get a different answers for most. Best thing to do is rent one for a weekend. And actually ride it . Not 50 miles spend the weekend with it. Half the people I talked to before I got mine. Said at first they did not like like . But now they would not trade it in . I had ridden a side car so I sort of new what to expect. When I bought my trike I spent about a half hour ridding in the neighborhood by the dealership. By the time I got home I was thinking I should have did this a long time ago. I have had it on the Blue Ridge parkway and loved it. If you want to stop and see something ,you just pull in. No worries with gravel ,steep inclines ECT . They push through a corner if you give it throttle too early. But after it bit it all comes 2nd nature. I can say this I will find any excuse to ride it. I sure like it better in the rain also.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:34 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by boe1971200
I had not even considered the bump avoidance. Hmm. One thing I think might be hard to adjust to would be when taking a corner. I am used to being able to lean it over and carve around the curve. No leans on a trike and if you are not centered in the lane the rear fender will be in the opposing traffics lane. I would need to be very cautious with that
I rented a TriGlide on vacation to Mount Rushmore. Cornering is COMPLETELY different! First, you literally steer the trike thru turns. The faster you are going, the more force is required to turn the handlebars. Second, with a conventional 2-wheeler, your turns are essentially executed by leaning. When in a lean, the centrifugal forces generally press you INTO the seat. With a trike, the centrifugal forces try to launch you OFF the bike. The differences are not insurmountable nor entirely objectionable - just different and something to be aware of and get accustomed to.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:40 PM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

We all started on trikes and if we want to extend our riding years we will more than likely end up on trikes. Kind of like coming full circle.

The following 2 users liked this post by coach127:
frenchbiker (05-08-2017), silveradoman2 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:52 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Instead of giving up on 2 wheels with a trike, why not get a lighter motorcycle if weight is the problem. If you like 2 wheels for the fun they are in turns, why go to 3? Sounds like the wife wants one and you don't really have a choice.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:05 PM
Dmdrone
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

My wife wanted me to get a trike and I wanted her to ride with me. I traded the ultra in and the first 200 miles I thought I made a mistake I have almost 10000 on it and I love it more every time I get to go for a ride. My wife is more comfortable. It does ride deferent I still lean in the corners and it's very fun to ride.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I don't think anyone will be able to answer your questions to your satisfaction. Rent one, that's the only way you'll know for sure. It's like seats, until your butt is on it all the answers don't mean anything.
Most, not all, went to a trike for medical, age, stability, safety etc....some went because they love trikes. Will you miss leaning into the curves, I suspect so, I do but as Clint says " a man has to know his limitations " I wanted my wife to ride and enjoy trips together so a trike was the answer, I could have went a few more years on two but I'd rather have my partner with me than two wheels. I've been riding since I was 15, now 66 this year so I've had fun, burned the corners etc...now we like riding the back roads, take our time and enjoy the sights...not in a hurry, both retired. Do we love our TG? Sure we do....we're having fun and seeing the country...
Like most have and will say, rent one for a weekend...that's the only way you'll know.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
I don't think anyone will be able to answer your questions to your satisfaction. Rent one, that's the only way you'll know for sure. It's like seats, until your butt is on it all the answers don't mean anything.
Most, not all, went to a trike for medical, age, stability, safety etc....some went because they love trikes. Will you miss leaning into the curves, I suspect so, I do but as Clint says " a man has to know his limitations " I wanted my wife to ride and enjoy trips together so a trike was the answer, I could have went a few more years on two but I'd rather have my partner with me than two wheels. I've been riding since I was 15, now 66 this year so I've had fun, burned the corners etc...now we like riding the back roads, take our time and enjoy the sights...not in a hurry, both retired. Do we love our TG? Sure we do....we're having fun and seeing the country...
Like most have and will say, rent one for a weekend...that's the only way you'll know.

Casper fairly well says it a decision only you can make. The pucker factors are lessened gravel on a hard corner from being washed out after heavy rain, spilled river gravel etc. Don't forget the steep intersections and a stupid four wheeler acting like he didn't see you. The loving passenger who moves unexpectedly. In a panic stop dropping the bike or just dropping it in the driveway. All things to think about while you relax on three wheels. I will not go back to two. ride safely Fred

Last edited by Fearless (old nickname); 03-27-2017 at 08:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Casper (03-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Considering a Tri Glide- not sure its for me though