General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you ride with health issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:35 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts
Default How do you ride with health issues?

Towards the end of last summer I began to develop arthritis in my joints, especially in my wrists and fingers. Well, over the winter, it has worsened to where now that I have begun riding again my hands get tired of handling the bike after an hour or so.

It seems that the majority of the population on this board is north of 50 like myself so I imagine that many of us here have some sort of ailment. How do you deal with it and does it affect how often and how far you ride? Are you worse the next few days if you push yourself?

I am hoping that I can do something about it because it would be a sad day if I had to stop riding due to health issues.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:40 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

i have arthritis as well. and some back issues. daily riding doesn't bother me too much, but if i'm doing a 'big' ride, i hit the vitamin m (motrin) beforehand.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

Over the counter anti-inflammatory (naproxen sodium/aleeve) two in the morning works for me. Never under estimate cruise control and rider backrest.Or if you really want to get serious-Australian Dream

Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 AM
aquadave
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been losing my balance for the last several months in fact about a year now. the Dr asks if i've fallen yet I say No then don't worry about it. Really? I ride much more cautious

Old 03-29-2017, 10:18 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Try black cherry extract. I have a bunch of aches and pains from to many jumps, falls etc.. from dirt bikes and horses, some days its worse than others. Never to the point of really limiting my riding but at times on long days it can take some of the enjoyment out.

Old Cajun friend told me years ago about drinking Black Cherry extract, at that time I would just get it in the concentrate (grocery store, health food store) mix a tablespoon or two with water and drink does not taste unpleasant. I was surprised at how much better I felt, now you can get it in a capsule form which is much easier to take with you on trips. Told my mom who was 75 at the time at had arthritis, who in turn told a bunch of her friends, they thought I was a miracle worker or witch doctor LOL.

I still take it, makes my old joints and bones feel better, may be all in my head but It did seem to work. It also has some antioxidant properties to go along with the anti inflammatory properties. Here is some info
http://www.livestrong.com/article/26...-cherry-juice/

I figured if it was all natural and had some benefit it was worth a try

The following users liked this post:
rockabillygrl (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:29 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i have arthritis as well. and some back issues. daily riding doesn't bother me too much, but if i'm doing a 'big' ride, i hit the vitamin m (motrin) beforehand.
Me too. I find heated grips help with the arthritis in my hands. Cruise control lets you relax your hands and a rider backrest helps with the back.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:40 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'm a diabetic and I have bad shoulders, especially my left one. For it, I stop to rest more and wear a hot/cold patch on it. It helps some but not enough. And for my diabetes, I try to keep my sugar up some.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:40 AM
krouke
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I am 69 and I ask the same questions. I just had shoulder surgery feb. 8th. and was able to ride after two weeks but rode with very guarded caution. I have insulin diabetes's and also have a torn Achilles heal due for surgery in Oct or Nov.(after riding season)... I also have bad back due for surgery next year If I even do surgery. I had prostate cancer surgery july 2015... and now having gastric issues.... BUT I AIN'T STOPPING! However after I ride I get exhausted because I do not stop and rest which I will be doing from now on. But after riding a few hours and putting bike away I swear its my last ride and selling out, but so far hasn't happened....

Old 03-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

I swear by Aleve. I used to get them in scrip strength from the VA, but then I changed Docs, and haven't been back in a while. I have to go back in, dreading what they might tell me about this new found lump on the side of my neck.

If you're reading this, you ain't dead yet.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:04 AM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I had a severe back injury when I was in the Navy that required major surgery. Due to nerve damage from the injury itself, I have permanent sciatica on the left side of my body. I've also been a gigging drummer for over 25 years, which has left with me with two bulging discs in my neck and right shoulder issues. One of the main reasons why I upgraded from a Sportster 48 to a Softail Slim was due to comfort.

I have a prescription for gabapentin. I like it because it works, and it doesn't make me drowsy. I stretch a good 15-20 minutes before riding. Once a week, I soak in a bathtub full of epsom salt.

Quick Reply: How do you ride with health issues?