Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye-Bye wobble! Hello Bagger Brace! Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:25 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking Bye-Bye wobble! Hello Bagger Brace! Pics!

After a long anticipated wait, the time has come for the arrival of my Bagger Brace and boy was it worth the wait. I will include a plethora of pics but let me say that my dealings and conversations with Ron and Stacey at Phoenix Customs has been an extremely pleasurable one to say the least. Ron has ALWAYS been available to answer questions via the phone and this alone was a tremendous asset in considering this product. The personal touch in business dealings from companies that span the distance of phone lines is a commodity that has long since gone by the way side but not with these guys, they are johnny on the spot with all calls and conversation. I can only hope that others that have dealt with Phoenix Customs receive the same prompt attention as I have, simply amazing.

Let me start by saying that I am currently running from another Hurricane (IKE) and that I will add to this reply in regards to the performance of the Bagger Brace as time permits, but my initial response is nothing short of stupendously amazing.

The workmanship is SUPERIOR and the tolerances of this device are extremely tight in order for this product to perform as advertised. ABSOLUTELY no slop in any of these parts and this will absolutely ensure the product performs up to snuff and gives me, the consumer, the stability and satisfaction my hard earned money has paid for in purchasing this product.

I opted for the BLACK Bagger Brace(for additional money $$) for an incognito appearance and what a delight after seeing it bolted to the bike. Ron and I had initially discussed a powder coated black option and he went out of his way to try to make this happen. He sent the originally anodized silver Bagger Brace to his local powder coater and upon receiving it back decided this option would not work nor meet his rigorous demands on this product due to the EXTREMELY tight tolerances this product requires and the interference of the powder coating itself. Ron could have boxed it up and sent it unbeknownst to me and probably gotten away with it in an attempt to meet my request, however, being as meticulous as he is and out of preserverance of protecting the extremely high quality product he generates, Ron felt it unsuitable for his expectations of his product and scrapped the powder coated option in return for a MUCH more desirable finish known as BLACK ANODIZED complete with a 100% buy back option from him if I was not 100% satisfied with his product.

The incoincidental revelation to me was that the fragility of powder coating during wear would look horrendous over time by chipping and possibly peeling SO impregnating the actual material BLACK(anodizing) seemed like a win-win situation as this should "wear" to a more aesthically pleasing pace and we all know how important this is on our beautiful stallions we mount and ride.

The product comes individually bubble-wrapped to keep scratches at bay. The instructions are legibally typed complete with pictures for those of us Coonasses that don't read but instead look solely at pictures for application. However, for you academically inclined didactic folks, comprehensive instructions are included.

The task of application is so easy a blind caveman could do it. The pieces fit together like a puzzle and again, the tolerances are extremely appreciable for a Picasso of a product that doesn't hurt the wallet nor require disassembly of the freaking motor, exhaust, front and back end...yada, yada.....

This thread is a precursor of a reply in the performance of this product until I can actually bear down on it in some twisties at highway and above speeds loaded down, as exemplified during what is known as the "bagger boogie"(wobble). However, the initial road test through tight turns on flat terrain have proven money well spent already. I've had myself(200lbs) and the wife(115lbs) on back with the bike fully dressed so the weight of this beast should very well exceed >1000 pounds in motion on some long and short sweepers locally for a total of 350 miles thus far and I'm extremely impressed with the stability. It has so far totally proven a tremendous asset to this heavy touring bike and stomped out the wobble in ALL occasions thus far. However, our biannual trip to the Ozarks will certainly put this product to the test and then some. The switchbacks and turns that produce undue stress on ALL components while this brontosaurus of a machine loaded down goes into a turn with momentum of a freight train, complete with little variations in the transition of the road all at breakneck speeds exiting in an upward fashion only to do it over and over will certainly bring out any flaws or inconsistencies in this products design and this is what I'm feening to report on.

I do apologize for an inconclusive review at this point, as I said, I'm running from a dangerous hurricane threatening our home AGAIN. So I will add to this thread as I deem it feasible.

Pics:

Straight out of the shipping box:

Individually bubble wrapped parts to keep the scratches away!

Blacked out engraving! (you can get silver engraved at no cost)

Top view of the brace itself that mates to the surface of the transmission pan. Showing the reinforcement of the design.

Detailed instructions complete with pics for us Southerners!

Homemade 3/16 allen wrench necessary for task (aka...Coonass engineering)

Prescribed method....LOL!

Side view all buttoned up. (inconspicuous eh?)

Bottom view

For those that use a floor jack = absolutely no interference!

Second pic of floor jack in position:

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way related to, nor did I even know Ron or Phoenix Customs before this particular endeavor and I am in no way promoting a product that I personally have not tried. The purpose of this thread is to follow up on one of the many alternatives that attempt to harness the bagger wobble that has seemingly become a popular topic as of late. I can attest that this product is priced EXTREMELY FAIR and that the "bargain price" is in no way a reflection of this products quality, workmanship, or appearance and because of this if I were Phoenix Customs I'd charge a WHOLE LOT MORE for this product than what is being charged. As stated the tolerances, material, and workmanship are top shelf and I, even I, can not pen the words that explain the top-shelf quality that goes into this particular product.

Buy whatever you want, but I opted for this product because of the vast surface area the cross member offers complete with the brace itself anastomosted to the engine via the upper portion of the transmission pan as a means to curtail the potentially dangerous oscillating these beasts of burden exhibit at speeds that could be harmful to your health.

Best of luck in your decision.

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 09-11-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good pics and review. How about a link and the cost for this.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:46 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How much extra did the black anodizing add to the cost? With my bike, I would prefer black as well. Thanks.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Big Poppa Pump
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Sodiee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write-up and photos.Good luck with Ike!

Old 09-11-2008, 03:53 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/bagger-brace/

Here's the link Dave and others.

The cost for the Anodized Black was $289 + $25 for Anodized Black = $314 shipped...ie. free shipping
The cost for the Silver is $289 shipped. ie...free shipping.

The install could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour. I could easily do it in 20-30 minutes now that I don't have to read and follow directions....LOL.

It is near impossible for me to convey the tight tolerances this unit possess', but it is OUTSTANDING!!!.

It fits on my bike like spandex tights.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:43 PM
rickxx
Tourer

thanks for the write up. i'll be contacting them soon.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:02 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the tip...

Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 PM
HDUltraRider
Banned

I concur with everything that ultraklassc states, I have had my brace on for bout a week now and have gone out of my way during my commute to work to hit twisties and I have to say it is like riding a new bike, the whole thing is just more stable even just riding straight on. The bike is much more responsive and love the turns.

Took me little over an hour and that include two call to Ron as my cross member was slightly out of alignment and Ron slow took me through the process he uses to strighten then. Out standing customer service it was after 5 on a friday and he had no problem coming to the phone and taking his time to speak with me. I feel I could do it in about 45 min if I did it again.

I also used a floor Jack for the install with no issue what ever.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:28 PM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did the install create any additional vibration from the motor that was transferred to the rest of the bike?

Quick Reply: Bye-Bye wobble! Hello Bagger Brace! Pics!