General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is wrong with RevTech engines?

RevTech engines are appealing to some because of their price. Many members have reported issues with the engines and steer many people clear of them.

Read Below to find out:
-What issues people are having with RevTech engines
-What engine to buy instead of RevTech
-What issues other engines have
Print Wikipost

What is wrong with RevTech engines?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is wrong with RevTech engines?

I was reading in another thread to stay away from them. Just wondering why and what previous experiences with their engine were.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
I was reading in another thread to stay away from them. Just wondering why and what previous experiences with their engine were.
They are made in Korea.

Buddy has one, no problems yet. EDITED FOR CORRECTNESS: She blew up last month!

The early ones had lots of problems. The newer ones are said to be better. But for the money I'd rather spend a little more and get a S&S.

Last edited by Harley_Dude; 05-27-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are junk in my opinion. I wouldn't buy a bike with one on it. If someone is building a bike or replacing an engine there are other options. There are several HD clone engines from some reputable builders that are built strong with innovative parts.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:10 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I knew a guy who put a RevTech motor in his bike and had nothing but trouble with it. Ended up buying and S&S and loves it.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 PM
olozada
Stage II
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You know the only problem I have is....people saying how bad Revtechs are but have never had one. I have been shopping for an engine and to make it fair, I asked dealers who sell all 3 ( S & S, Ultima and Revtech). Here is what I have found and don't tak my word, look into it yourself. 8 out of 10 dealers will tell you these things about all 3:

Revtech is cheaper because it was made in Korea. But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts. So the buy American crap doesn't hold water; they are built (Assembled) in America.

S & S cost more and is used more. Ultima falls second in terms of cost with Revtech coming in 3rd at cost.

If you look around and ask questions you will find plenty of people who have had problems with all 3 and people who stand by all 3. However you will hear plenty stories about "my friend had". It boils down to assembly. All the problems end up being because something locked up because it was assemble wrong or improper spacings or torque.

I have been leaning towards a 110 Revtech and here is why:

I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.

So the more money you pay, the less warranty you get in return. I don't care what people who don't have a Revtech are saying about them. Like the old saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". When is S & S and Ultima going to put their money where their mouth is.

One dealer told me and I quote. "We carry all 3 but if you want to know the truth; the best engine is Revtech. It has a better warranty and it is more advanced. Everyone talks S & S but they have gotten more expensive but are being made cheaper and they lowered their warranty to six months".

These are my oppinions, don't take my word..look around for yourself.

The following 3 users liked this post by olozada:
Daytonavtwin (07-12-2021), shaggieshapiro (11-29-2019), Shane Niblock (08-18-2020)
Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by olozada
You know the only problem I have is....people saying how bad Revtechs are but have never had one. I have been shopping for an engine and to make it fair, I asked dealers who sell all 3 ( S & S, Ultima and Revtech). Here is what I have found and don't tak my word, look into it yourself. 8 out of 10 dealers will tell you these things about all 3:

Revtech is cheaper because it was made in Korea. But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts. So the buy American crap doesn't hold water; they are built (Assembled) in America.

S & S cost more and is used more. Ultima falls second in terms of cost with Revtech coming in 3rd at cost.

If you look around and ask questions you will find plenty of people who have had problems with all 3 and people who stand by all 3. However you will hear plenty stories about "my friend had". It boils down to assembly. All the problems end up being because something locked up because it was assemble wrong or improper spacings or torque.

I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.

So the more money you pay, the less warranty you get in return. I don't care what people who don't have a Revtech are saying about them. Like the old saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". When is S & S and Ultima going to put their money where their mouth is.

One dealer told me and I quote. "We carry all 3 but if you want to know the truth; the best engine is Revtech. It has a better warranty and it is more advanced. Everyone talks S & S but they have gotten more expensive but are being made cheaper and they lowered their warranty to six months".

You must work for Revtech lol

The following 3 users liked this post by harleyguy5571:
Larry the Landlord (11-29-2019), mucyou (11-10-2020), panheadache (04-08-2023)
Old 01-05-2010, 01:27 PM
exitinyourhead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what you don't know, is how much profit margin is afforded to the shop by the three vendors.

I know when I sold forklift parts the imports, trying to gain a foothold in the US, would offer much larger profit margins and incentives to push their products. They weren't always as good as the competition. I could sell the same starter, for instance, and make around 17% on the american brand and make about 40% on the import (and still have the import come in at around 10% less to the customer.)

The next best "sales insentive" was to push a much bigger warranty. The warranties were often hard to enforce and sometimes there was a lot red tape. Some warranties were accepted, others weren't.

The last person I would trust about a specific product would be somebody selling it.

All this being said, I'm not purchasing any of the three engines (I'm fine with my stock one.) I just know that by the logic of "I'll accept what the guy selling the products says" theory, I could have sold you a product that might or might not have been as good and you'd sure be happy and satisfied. The salesman's dream.

To the Original Poster I would recommend waiting on hearing from more folks who have specific personal experience with what your trying to purchase.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I stand by my original post on this issue. I would not buy a bike with a rev tech engine but someone would. Surprised this old thread is being looked at again. I figure the O.P. might have bought an engine by now.

The following users liked this post:
mucyou (11-10-2020)
Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I stand by my original post on this issue. I would not buy a bike with a rev tech engine but someone would. Surprised this old thread is being looked at again. I figure the O.P. might have bought an engine by now.
Nothing like an old thread to bring back memories

Old 01-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Fl Jimbo 05
Tourer

Originally Posted by olozada

WoW musta hit a nerve... 1st post in almost 2 yrs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is wrong with RevTech engines?