Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 06:49 PM
frisco42
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

If you were talking to me.. If the new Comp will allow starting without the bang, I'm for it.
As for tuning, If you've got O2 sensors, the bike basically tunes itself. That what they are for.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 PM
poppadan00
Stage III

I have an '07 Ultra and have the same problem. 5th gear sounds terrible. I recently went on a pretty long ride and it about drove me nuts!!!! The shop foreman at the local dealership said there is a fix for it, but it costs about $350.00. He agreed that Harley should have a recall. He said the '08's don't have this problem.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:32 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have them put in the Red line shock proof oil in the tranny and run a little higher rpm.These new ones like a little more in the rev dept.The fix he is peddling is the IDS on the rear wheel/hub and you don't need it.

Mark

Old 08-20-2008, 09:25 AM
OAKXTREE
Intermediate

Just a quick note after reading all these posts. I too have been very upset with the tranny noise. After going back to dealer many times (btw 07 SG) and telling me everything is running right I had to learn to ride much different than I have for the last 30 years. Yes I am getting old but have been riding as long as I can remember. Well I always shifted by the sound of my motor now I find I had to watch the tach for about 1000 miles to shift at the prop. time. I now ride 4th gear up to about 60mph before going into 5th and only stay in 5th from 60 mph to 70 mph then up to 6th. This has changed all my bad feelings about this tranny. I just couldn't get used to being in 4th gear for so long knowing I had too more to go. But it has made all the difference to me.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:44 AM
mcneil21
Stage III

My 07 Electraglide just started to get worse, and its not getting any better. I have 5000 miles on it. I have the radio cranked, with true duals, and this thing chatter is louder than that.

Sounds like I better get used to it!

Old 08-27-2008, 04:10 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You dont have to get use to it,just spread the wallet.IDs should quiet your bike down.Get a EFI tuner and find a good tuner or someone with your setup.Some of these 07s are different than others but for the most part the IDS has made many owners happier.I waited instead of going with the heavier trans fluids,the trans has to wear in.Ever change the trans fluid on one of these noisey new ones and see the copperish flakes?The IDS cured mine RIGHT after install for the clatter noise and ended my 5th gear whine.Use the redline fluids in the trans and primary.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 PM
thepilot
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by WhiteKnuckle
My Ultra is noisy, too, in 5th and 6th. Not terrible, but noisy. I took the bike back to the dealer the second day I had it, one of the techs rode it and said, "Yep, it's kinda noisy, but go ahead and break it in, change the fluid to synthetic at 1000 and we'll see..." That's what I'm doing, I've got 500 miles on it now. It's maybe a little quieter than it was new, but it's still too noisy in my opinion.

A few factors - If you ride with no helmet or a shorty, it's a lot more obvious. If you're used to a non-fairing bike with loud pipes, ditto (I got off a Low Rider with Short Shots, I dunno what the tranny sounded like on that). If you run the rpm real low in 6th, double ditto - and that's easy to do, the bike has to be going 70 before you get at least 2400 rpm in 6th.

I think Harley is going to have to do something about it, though, the tranny is just too noisy on the highway - which is kind of a crime against nature when you're talking about an Ultra Classic. I love the bike, but I can say without hestation that Harley's going to have to fix this.
Try changing the exhaust to true duals! The noise your hearing might not be the tranny. The motor noise from that junk exhaust was terrible on mine and a small private shop with long time mechanic said the noise and rattle was not the driveline it was the exhaust system not letting the motor breath. Needless to say I put true duals and 99% of the noise was gone.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:29 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not the exh itself but could be due to what the stock exh does to the engine and factory tune.Bet your tru duals were dyno tuned after install,bet your two cylinders arent fighting each other anymore?Get the good slippery stuff in your trans and primary,get the IDS if you havent yet and get your bike tuned to whatever setup youre running.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:37 AM
kmclean53
Stage III

I have o 07 ultra with IDS and still have good bit of noise in 5th when accelerating. Would the new Screaming Eagle compensator be worth the money and get rid of remainder of noise?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:53 PM
MrHd1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That rattle

I have it (08 Ultra) and it does bug me a bit. It is more apparent when the bike is not real warmed up. It sounds like a lifter but noise seems to come from he exhaust. I have jackpot slip ons. If I wear ear plugs I don't really hear it. I bet if I took my lowers off the noise wouldn't be as bad. Sort of a bummer for 23K bike to sound like a bucket of bolts at 3K RPM. If anyone has any other ideas or has remedied the problem or at least found the root cause I would appreciate hearing. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!