Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Air Filter Thead. Does type realy matter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:41 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmj
I hope this will add to the thread rather than hi jacking it.

I'm considering a DK intake for mine when it arrives. However, I'm keen to avoid oil on the side of the bike so I don't think the mesh breather bolts will do it for me. I don't really like the aesthetics of running pipes down to a remote breather filter either.

I saw some breather filters on a custom bike. They kind of looked like an oval shape hanging on a stem with mesh in. I suspect they would be better at keeping the oil vapour inside.

Any thoughts? And any recommendations on where to get them?
Sounds like Doherty Power Vents. You dont need to spend that much money when it can be done for $15 with some hose and a couple of barbed fittings.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:43 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by lloyd123
Where is all this hot oily mist you guys have coming from? I dont seem to have this
Higher compression Twin Cams will mist oil from the breathers in the heads (the breather bolts where the aircleaner screws into each head).

Old 09-18-2014, 01:09 PM
martin10
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lloyd123
Where is all this hot oily mist you guys have coming from? I dont seem to have this
You absolutely have it. No way around that as the crank case vents go into the intake. In some engines the oil mist is worse than others but they all do it to one degree or another. Think of it this way. Even without the oil mist which can make a mess out of your throttle body, intake valves and piston tops. You have those vents in the heads which are pumping hot air directly into your intake. It isnt as bad in cars as the crankcase vent tubing usually has a long way to go before it reaches the intake. On a Harley it has about 4 inch's from the heads to the throttle body. You always want cool air going into your throttle body.

Last edited by martin10; 09-18-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:14 PM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
Sounds like Doherty Power Vents. You dont need to spend that much money when it can be done for $15 with some hose and a couple of barbed fittings.
Yep. These were the ones I think:

http://www.et-performance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_ id=99&zenid=4a6dfebb4c029352c26fb7abbdb2c0c9

Like em.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:09 PM
tripleb1911
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dk587 ac

Well I did not think about it so much but it turns out some after market filters probably pull in more air than the engine can do anything with in a stage-1.

Perhaps cleaner air is the question. Apparently the DK 587 routes the crank air to the atmosphere vs back into the air intake.

When I bought my Ram in 13 a Catch Can was the first mod I did. If you do not know what it is I will explain will quick for those that do not. The engine crank requires pressure relief. I imagine in the old days the the air that was released just went into the atmosphere but at some point the EPA said this air needs to go back into the engine because its dirty.

A mod that seems popular with Ram owners is to install a little can inline that has steal wool inside it that catches the oil particles in the air before it is pushed back into the air intake. Result cleaner air going back into the combustion chamber.

Every so many miles I have to empty the can.

So the DK 587 is similar, but it does not filter the air to be put back in the engine it just releases it to the atmosphere. Result cleaner air in the combustion chamber.

Supposedly the warmer air that the routed from the is not a benefit, cooler is better.

I am sure somebody is running the 587.

Any reason not to do this? Is there some benefit to the oily air that that it should go back in the engine that is a mystery?

All feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:13 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleb1911
Well I did not think about it so much but it turns out some after market filters probably pull in more air than the engine can do anything with in a stage-1.

Perhaps cleaner air is the question. Apparently the DK 587 routes the crank air to the atmosphere vs back into the air intake.

When I bought my Ram in 13 a Catch Can was the first mod I did. If you do not know what it is I will explain will quick for those that do not. The engine crank requires pressure relief. I imagine in the old days the the air that was released just went into the atmosphere but at some point the EPA said this air needs to go back into the engine because its dirty.

A mod that seems popular with Ram owners is to install a little can inline that has steal wool inside it that catches the oil particles in the air before it is pushed back into the air intake. Result cleaner air going back into the combustion chamber.

Every so many miles I have to empty the can.

So the DK 587 is similar, but it does not filter the air to be put back in the engine it just releases it to the atmosphere. Result cleaner air in the combustion chamber.

Supposedly the warmer air that the routed from the is not a benefit, cooler is better.

I am sure somebody is running the 587.

Any reason not to do this? Is there some benefit to the oily air that that it should go back in the engine that is a mystery?

All feedback is welcome. Thanks.
The entire Outlaw line (425, 587 & 636v) route that nasty air to the atmosphere via an external breather system. You can see the different choices at this LINK

There is Nothing good for the engine about routing it back into the combustion chambers, except making the EPA happy.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-19-2014, 08:28 PM
pat.h
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This entire conversation about rebreathers has me baffled.every time i clean my ac there is half a shot glass of engine oil at the bottom. The intake is oily too. Nasty. I never thought about any of this. I have a big bore kit an she runs hot already.

Question. ..if u reroute, what do you do with the two holes in the ac back plate? Do the kits come with plugs,

Question. Do u have to empty the vent canisters an if so how often?

Question. If you dont empty them wont oil drip out and you run the risk of oil on the rear tire,

Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 PM
pat.h
Cruiser

This is my mod for the winter. Anyone got pics of how they hid the lines, if they fabed anything

Old 09-21-2014, 06:31 AM
martin10
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pat.h
This entire conversation about rebreathers has me baffled.every time i clean my ac there is half a shot glass of engine oil at the bottom. The intake is oily too. Nasty. I never thought about any of this. I have a big bore kit an she runs hot already.

Question. ..if u reroute, what do you do with the two holes in the ac back plate? Do the kits come with plugs,

Question. Do u have to empty the vent canisters an if so how often?

Question. If you dont empty them wont oil drip out and you run the risk of oil on the rear tire,
Without pictures I dont know what holes in the back plate you are talking about. What air cleaner do you have? But without seeing it I have almost always use auto inner fender plugs/clips with some sealer to plug holes in air boxes. They make them in a lot of different sizes and you can find them at any auto parts store. You dont actually need a catch can unless you just want one. My vent hose is just run to the rear of the bike and down beside the rear fender. Beside the fender means no oil on rear tire.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:09 PM
pat.h
Cruiser

Idk what the aircleaner is. Aquired bike with it, looks like standared se round open ac. But on the back plate, on the top, there are two "s" type rubber lines say, 2" long, goin from breather bolts on head into the back of the ac, i assumed the same thing you stated,, rubber plugs with silicone. Just thought the vent kits would have plugs with them,

Also, which is better, just a line that ends somwhere or one with a filter on the end? Not a catch can, but a filter. Im assuming the filter is to slow the oil mist down to not get on the bike

Quick Reply: Another Air Filter Thead. Does type realy matter?