Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork lock question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fork lock question

I just bought a set of 5 degrees, wide glide triple trees from HHI for my rocker.

1- Do I need to buy a fork lock kit (if there is such a thing)? Or can I use the HD setup that came with the bike?

As far as the fork stop (when you turn the wheel all the way to either side) do I need to add anything for that ? Or do the trees just stop like the HD ones do, which is when the bottom tree touches the neck of the frame.

I don't wanna put it together and then have to take the front end apart just cause I over looked something.

Thanks guys.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

I think I just answered some of my questions.

I'm gonna need new neck bearings (at least one for the lower bearing). Because on the stock HD trees the lower bearing is pressed into the lower tree. Not gonna mess with it. Just gonna put new ones in the neck.

This brings up another question.

I haven't looked at the manual yet but do I need any special tools to press the bearings into the neck?
And is it possible to press these bearings too far into the neck? I would think HD machined a lip for the bearings to sit inside the neck.

Thanks bros!

Old 09-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought drag # 221032 neck bearing set and I got a fork stop but not sure on that part #. My homie teared it down and had back together before I could get to the garage LOL

Old 09-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Jo, I went with these parts. Got the info from Laidink.
They'll be here Thursday. Gonna start tearing the neck apart then.... Stay tuned !

pro one internal fork stop kit 103413
fork stop found here: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/221-351

Bearings. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/230-411

Old 09-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be all G bro. Can't wait to see. You get your wheels yet?
Mines 60% done. Not all my parts shipped and I gotta still send stuff to paint but at least i can ride again lol

Old 09-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Yeah. Got my wheels and trees.

Rear wheel would be on the bike already but the shop discovered a big crack on my rear tire while they were swapping the tire from one rim to the other so I'm waiting on a replacement tire.

I'm gonna rebuild the front caliper while I'm at it. It looks all gunked up!

I'm really curious to see what you're doing to yours. You should start a thread.

I'd start a thread for my build but I don't have a computer at home and I can only upload one picture at a time from my phone. Sucks.

Attached Thumbnails Fork lock question-image.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 05:29 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're replacing the lower bearing, good idea to do both. The races should also be replaced, which will need to be pressed in with a bearing race tool. I got mine on eBay for relatively cheap, but might be able to borrow one from your local Indy. Keep in mind that with the hidden fork stop, the tool will need to be modified to clear the fork stop tab on the race. Just a matter of grinding the lip of the tool a bit. Its also very important to make sure the tab is cenetered before you press it in, otherwise the forks will turn more one way than the other and potentially hit the tank in one direction. You will also need a tool to remove the old races. I got around this by welding them out. If you run a weld bead on the inside face of the race, when it cools it will shrink the race enough for it to be removed by hand. Only caution is don't f#ck up the weld. If you miss the race you just bought yourself a new frame. The tool is probably cheaper.

The stock fork lock will be unusable with the new trees. I just left it that way since I never used the fork lock anyway. Not sure if there is a kit for this.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:50 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Is there any chance I am going to be able to install the neck bearings and races without that tool?

Will the steering head race installer tool on this page work? http://www.georges-garage.com/chassis_tools.htm

And can that same tool be used to install the bearings as well or do I need a different tool for the bearings ?

Last edited by Alain; 09-22-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:03 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need the tool for the races, and yes that tool will work. Looks like its already notched for the stop tab as well. You'll need to get the removal bits as well to pull the old ones.

The bearings, at least on my ProOne trees, just slid right on. They didn't need pressed on the stem and they just drop into the race. Not sure about the HHI trees, but I would assume its a similar setup.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:43 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jreichart
You will need the tool for the races, and yes that tool will work. Looks like its already notched for the stop tab as well. You'll need to get the removal bits as well to pull the old ones.

The bearings, at least on my ProOne trees, just slid right on. They didn't need pressed on the stem and they just drop into the race. Not sure about the HHI trees, but I would assume its a similar setup.
Thank you for the answer. I didn't want to buy that particular tool to come to find out I could have done without it.

I see what you're saying about the bearings just dropping in. I was thinking the bearings in the neck where held in there tight like the bearings on the wheels.

Oh, one other question. Do I need to pack the neck bearings with grease before putting them in? Or is that not necessary ?

Last edited by Alain; 09-22-2014 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Fork lock question