Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving the Breakout ride... for her

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:33 PM
U4junkie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving the Breakout ride... for her

Ok, love the bike, and its a great 20 minute bike, but how do I make it more tailbone friendly for my lady? Yea I coulda bought a glide, but I didn't.

bike is stockish, only thing done for the ride is the sundowner seats which made a big difference.... but the longer rides are still a challenge. She's ridden plenty, 4-8 hour trips on other HDs so I know it's not that she's a wuss.

On paper the shotguns will help, how much for real? I think in other threads overall rear suspension travel was discussed and The BO had the same if not more than other HD bikes in stock form. I jsut hate to drop the coin (even with the forum discount) and not have her appreciate the improvement.

If I could get it to be ok for 1-2 hr trips it would be awesome. I know some live in the lands of better roads or just ride solo. I'm not that lucky.

Objective input?

Old 09-20-2014, 01:14 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

My lady is fine on mine for 2 hrs although not quite accustomed to it (she only joins in from time to time), then she needs a break...and so do I w/stock seat. My BO is even lowered appr. 1'' with PS 422s and quite stiff. Had the stock pillion reworked with much more padding and a gel insert.

When I had my passenger pillion finished my seat upholsterer, he said: "If that's not enough for your lady tell her that riding as a passenger on that bike she needs to develop certain willingness to suffer."

Not sure if that helps you that much...

Old 09-20-2014, 02:47 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Back rest ,another seat ,butt buddy ,gel seat as said , floor boards , adjust shocks or better shocks . That sundowner is a pretty good seat .When riding my softail with my wife ,I just stop every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs .

Old 09-20-2014, 05:04 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This same situation helped me justify the shotgun shock

Old 09-20-2014, 08:27 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Tell her to loose 50 lbs, and see how that works for you. Oh my!

Old 09-21-2014, 02:19 AM
Todd1113
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I added the quick detach backrest and my OL is good with an hour long ride before we both need a break. Just ordered the sundowner pillion which looks a lot more comfy so it should help a lot.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:55 AM
mjlevi
Intermediate

The issue of comfort for my passengers is there is not enough fore and aft room.. between my back and the backrest.. if there were a way to customize the backrest to move further rear over the fender then the comfort level would improve... the pillion seat could also be elongated to make up some difference.. all of this without causing problems to the rear fender.. that would be the challenge for a fabricator...

Old 09-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I was faced with a similar situation as yours but with my Heritage.
But the Heritage is designed to be a better "softail touring" bike than the Breakout so I may be comparing apples to oranges.

After a 2-4 hour ride (with a couple of stops) my Wife complained about how sore she was and how much her legs hurt from having to "pinch" the seat on every big bump.

I first gel'd the seats, which helped with the ride quality by cushioning her rear but it didn't help relieve her thigh pain.

I knew that only a suspension upgrade was going to help and from what I read the best upgrade was Shotgun Shocks, but like you I just had a hard time dropping the coin on them.

I decided to roll the dice and go with the Progressive 422 RAPs.
I did a lengthy review of them a couple of months ago if you search the forum.
But in short, they did the trick for our issue.

My Wife now rides 2-4 hours (with a couple of stops) without complaint.
The Progressives don't eliminate the big bumps, but for most of them they certainly dampen them.
I don't notice most of the small bumps any more which is really what is probably the difference in making the ride more comfortable.

I think though if you do want I "cloud like" ride, from the reviews out there, I think the only option is to go with Shotgun Shocks to get it.

But for $500 Progressive 422 RAPs might be good enough.

Last edited by Bluraven; 09-21-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:28 PM
U4junkie
Intermediate

part of the math may well be peg position vs rear seat. She's 5'7", leggy and I'm happy to say can't afford to lose much weight if any she has enough seat time on non backrest bikes that she's confident it won't help.

it's hard to imagine gel improving much over a stock SD pillion which she refers to as the marshmallow seat. It's not a thigh soreness deal, shots straight up the spine... local roads roads are part of it. she exercises and does yoga 5 times a wk so it's not really an out of shape thing.

I'll just do shorter trips for the duration of the season, maybe ill find a BO with shotguns at BBB this week I can take for a spin

Shotguns will prob go on in the off season, i can always switch back

Old 09-21-2014, 04:14 PM
jcsshane
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've installed Kuryakyn adjustable footpegs for the Wife. Like having a set of highway pegs for the rider. They fold back out of the way or rotate forward to have two positions during longer rides. Moves her feet forward and 4-5 inches higher relieving some of the pressure on the back of the legs. She loves them which means I love them. Has doubled her ride time before stops.

Last edited by jcsshane; 09-21-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: wording

Quick Reply: Improving the Breakout ride... for her