Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open belt primary installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:40 PM
Joedude
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy open belt primary installation

Hi all
I am new to this, any help would be appreciated, I have a sof tail springer 2006.
I had my local mecganic install an ultima open belt primary, looks great, problem is as I crank to start it does not fire up, on second crank it fires up, sometimes it fires sometimes needs a second crank, battery and charging is good, this all started as he installed the open primary,any ideas
It never did this before.
Joe

Old 09-21-2014, 11:25 PM
ctluba
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I cant imagine how installing an open belt primary would effect the bike starting. Sounds wierd. Check your plug wires, plugs, carb...I dont know.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:42 AM
Joedude
Novice

Hi
Yea can it be a coincidence that as I picked up bike this happens, I was worried thinking the mechanic did something wrong, my bike is injection so it something to do with ignition I would guess, plenty of cranks but no start, on second try it start.

I replaced the crank sensor still same thing, anybody has any ideas.
Joe

Old 09-22-2014, 08:26 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Unless something was bumped or moved during the installation, I can not think of what would connect the two issues. I will be interested to see what the answer is.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The starter jackshaft has to be removed to install the new primary. Maybe it was not re installed properly?

Old 09-22-2014, 08:15 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
The starter jackshaft has to be removed to install the new primary. Maybe it was not re installed properly?
If the starter wasn't aligned correctly, he'd hear it on the first crank (or attempted crank). I've installed the Primo belt, and while it's sometimes a bitch to line up the starter, it's usually a go-no go situation. The way he's describing it sounds like it's cranking fine.

Has anyone checked the alternator output? For a dry primary you need to pull the rotor and reverse the stator oil seal. Possibly a nicked/sorted stator winding while the change was being done? (The Ultima setup looks like you might be able to check the stator without pulling the whole primary backplate - like I had to with the Primo unit to replace my leaking stator seal.)

Last edited by FurryOne; 09-22-2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling error - duhh!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Joedude
Novice

Hi guys
Thanks for the input.
I cannot think its the stator seems to me its working fine, I am getting 14.3 volts in my battery while its running, do not think its the problem, remember engine is cranking fine so jackshaft is engaging fine, just seems to me like either there is no spark or fuel when it doesn't start but how come right after not starting on next crank it start, I changed the crank sensor cause I heard they go bad but still the same. But what's eating me up is that before I took to install open primary it never did this always starts first go,
Any one has any idea how to try next.
**** I live on Malta so expert help is hard to come by.
Joe

Old 09-23-2014, 11:50 AM
davedub69
Stage IV
Location: Conshohocken, PA soon to be West Palm Beach/ Clearwater, Florida
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To check your SPARK pull a spark plug wire and hold it a 1/4 inch or so from cylinder head or grounded bolt and check for spark, make sure you use insulated glove/pliers or you may get a JOLT.

To check for Injection a litte more involved. I'd start with check the Injector for pulse. You can use a test light to check for pulse by disconnecting injector harness and placing the test light across the pins, if it flashes during cranking you have injections pulse. The next thing is to check fuel pressure/volume during cranking. Not sure how you'd check that on your bike.

Remember a engine only needs 4 things to start/run:

Compression, Fuel, Spark, Timing off all components/events.

Hope this helps. I am by no means a motorcycle tech but 14 years as a automotive technician.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:35 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

Sounds to me like if the bike sets for some time it has no fuel to the motor and needs to prime up .

Old 09-23-2014, 03:25 PM
davedub69
Stage IV
Location: Conshohocken, PA soon to be West Palm Beach/ Clearwater, Florida

Listen for fuel pump prime when key on, engine off, should prime for a second or two. You should always wait a few seconds after key on to allow the pump to prime and then it should fire right up.

Quick Reply: open belt primary installation