Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:44 PM
jeff6898
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems starting

2007 FLSTC

Anyone have any ideas what may be the problem?

When I go to start it it just turns keeps turning over then will finally start. Every few starts it makes a bad grinding noise like the sound you get on a car when the starter and flywheel are having problems. I used to just hit the button and it would start right up.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Jeff, I recently started a thread on the same issue. It's likely the starter. No replies on my thread at this point. You've got the same bike as mine..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...t-problem.html

Old 09-22-2014, 04:12 PM
jeff6898
Cruiser

Thanks for replying, I didn't even notice your thread. I should have looked. I just went out and started it 3 times and it cranked right up no problem. Waited about 3 minutes and it did the same thing as before. I think you nailed it about being the starter.

I was thinking maybe battery or fuel, but that would not have explained the grinding noise at times.

Mine does it hot or cold.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Mine is exactly the same symptom. A lot of people seem to have that problem. After some internet searching i found they call it "the dreaded hot start problem". I initially attributed it to a pre-ignition problem, which makes sense given its behavior when it first began to happen. But, now it's gotten much worse and there is little doubt it's the starter. Bike has a new battery, so that's eliminated.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:09 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Starter clutch is a possible on both counts. My 2009 had the issue at the end of last year... cold start it would fire right up, but warm start it would have the grinding noise, then usually start on the 2nd or 3rd try. Turns out mine was the starter clutch, and it's never done it since replacing it.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:42 PM
jeff6898
Cruiser

Mine does it also when it is cold just as much. It can sit for 2 days and it will do the same thing on initial start. Still same problem though, going to bring to dealer and see about getting starter or starter clutch replaced.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by jeff6898
Mine does it also when it is cold just as much. It can sit for 2 days and it will do the same thing on initial start. Still same problem though, going to bring to dealer and see about getting starter or starter clutch replaced.
Jeff, call the dealer and get an estimate first. The two dealers I just called want right at $800 for the job. They will only replace the starter, not fix what is wrong. Maybe your dealer will actually fix what is wrong.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:00 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might as well try the easy stuff first. Take the battery cables off clean them,the posts and the frame connection for ground. Then tighten them back on.
Tom

Old 09-24-2014, 07:16 PM
jeff6898
Cruiser

Took battery to one auto parts store to test. He said putting out 12.4v but it showed a dead cell under load. Went another store and it showed 12.4v 382cca and battery was good. Told me if a cell was dead it could not have 12.4v . I am guessing battery good and first person just wanted a sale.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Jeff, got my starter taken care of today. I went ahead and bought the complete starter since my old one has over 50K worth of use. I also got the whole starter because what they now have is a "B" starter. We have the "A" version. Supposedly the B is an upgraded starter. What I couldn't find out was what was upgraded, but I took the chance anyway, hoping that maybe they are using the Screaming Eagle version of the starter clutch. I'll continue to try and find out what changed on the B.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 09-24-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Problems starting