Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A First try Finding an independent Shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:58 AM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
What part of Indiana are you in?

I live in North Central Indiana I am 100 miles north of Indianapolis and 100 miles South East of Chicago . For a good shop I would go 50/60 miles .

So far it looks like most Independent shops are part time - out of business - Never really in Business or just a place to drink beer and do drugs .

Old 09-23-2014, 11:11 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
After MANY years of looking, trial and error I have found an INDY I would leave my Grandson with!!! This guy is the BEST! He is a straight shooter, REALLY knows his stuff and people come from all around to have him work on their bikes.

I met a husband and wife team on here that lives about 60 miles away, they bring their bike all the way down just for this guy to work on. There's not allot worse than trying to find competent craftsman these days. He did my bars, all internals and it came out SO sweet!!!
So,is the name of this shop a secret?

Old 09-23-2014, 12:04 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Of course its not a secret, I didn't know we were allowed to post names of businesses here. It's P&J Cycles in Morris Il., 815-416-0353, its 20 miles west of joliet on rt 80. The owners name is Paul, if you call or go, just tell him Tony sent you. I will match his prices, his craftsmanship, his abilities and customer service with anyone out there. He is the ONLY one who touches my bike, period!

Not only is he my INDY but he has become a good friend. I have told a few people that travel all the way here to have him work on their bikes that I would always do what I can to help a guy out, need a ride home, a trailer to come get you to bring your bike to his shop or even a place to hang out for the day if he is doing a job on your bike that he can start and finish in a single day. Hell, I'm single with a spare room if a guy even needed to hang around till the next day!

1 thing he is too is a good guy! He will bend over backwards to give you what you want. Nothing leaves his shop without him personally going over it and he does 90% of all the work himself. Been riding 40 + and he's the best I ever ran across!

Old 09-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
After MANY years of looking, trial and error I have found an INDY I would leave my Grandson with!!! This guy is the BEST! He is a straight shooter, REALLY knows his stuff and people come from all around to have him work on their bikes.

I met a husband and wife team on here that lives about 60 miles away, they bring their bike all the way down just for this guy to work on. There's not allot worse than trying to find competent craftsman these days. He did my bars, all internals and it came out SO sweet!!!
Ditto...You just have to find the right one...ask other riders...I have two I work with and they have saved me thousands and can be Trusted...

Old 09-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

My problem with Indys is they can't get Harley parts anymore. One near me uses Drag Specialties, and the other Revtech. After using the Drag Specialties filter, which seemed to run higher oil pressures, I developed a base gasket leak. I don't know if that is a coincidence, but I like sticking with HD oil filters.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:12 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by KEYBEAR
I live in North Central Indiana I am 100 miles north of Indianapolis and 100 miles South East of Chicago . For a good shop I would go 50/60 miles .

So far it looks like most Independent shops are part time - out of business - Never really in Business or just a place to drink beer and do drugs .
Here is one you can check out:

Psychobilly Kustoms
420 South Sycamore
SYRACUSE, IN 46567
Phone: (574) 529-0509

They have installed many of our products with zero complaints from the customers. If you are willing to travel to the South side of Chicago you can go see Dave at:

South Side M/C
13341 S.W. Hwy, Unit D
ORLAND PARK, IL 60462
Phone: (708) 361-0942

Dave is one of those guys that if I was running a shop and wanted to take a vacation I would want him running my shop while I was gone. With Dave you will have to call ahead though. As with anyone who gains a good reputation , they are always busy.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:20 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
My problem with Indys is they can't get Harley parts anymore. One near me uses Drag Specialties, and the other Revtech. After using the Drag Specialties filter, which seemed to run higher oil pressures, I developed a base gasket leak. I don't know if that is a coincidence, but I like sticking with HD oil filters.
They can still get parts they just can't get them in quantities anymore and therefore can not get a price break. Well some still can.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:38 AM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Here is one you can check out:

Psychobilly Kustoms
420 South Sycamore
SYRACUSE, IN 46567
Phone: (574) 529-0509

They have installed many of our products with zero complaints from the customers. If you are willing to travel to the South side of Chicago you can go see Dave at:

South Side M/C
13341 S.W. Hwy, Unit D
ORLAND PARK, IL 60462
Phone: (708) 361-0942

Dave is one of those guys that if I was running a shop and wanted to take a vacation I would want him running my shop while I was gone. With Dave you will have to call ahead though. As with anyone who gains a good reputation , they are always busy.

Thank You I will give them a call

Old 09-24-2014, 11:45 AM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

Tbonetony06 I called J&P Cycle IN Morris yesterday and had to leave a message . I gave a number to call back and told them the work I needed done NO REPLY .
Looks like just one more part timer ?

Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Bars

Originally Posted by 24v
KEYBEAR, your Breakout is one of the easiest bikes to do a bar swap on. You do not have to remove the connectors from the wiring. With the new can bus bikes, the connectors are small enough that they will pull right through the holes in the bars. You literally go under the tank, unplug 3 connectors, pull them out of the bars, feed them into the new bars, and plug them back in.
For 14" apes you will need extensions. The extensions come as a piggyback with a connector already on each end. It is all literally plug and play.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-breakout.html
That seems to be a bit of good luck my buddy has a 14 road king he brought it to the local steeler had 14 inch apes installed they got him for about 1300 for the complete job.

Quick Reply: A First try Finding an independent Shop