Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a touring softail really better for touring than a Fatboy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:26 PM
martinspencer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a touring softail really better for touring than a Fatboy?

Just returned from a 2K mile trip through northern Ontario on my '03 Fatboy. I have a windshield, fangs (who would tour without them?), and Corbin seat. I can lean back against a back mounted forwards on the sissy bar. The problem; in spite of changes to make the Fatboy a tourer it still gets really uncomfortable on long days. Just wondering if there is a significant difference in comparison to a touring softail (Road King, etc.)? I know they have a larger tank, and larger seat. Are the wheelbase and suspension the same? Has anybody changed models for touring purposes and noted a difference? (I really like my Fatboy.)
Thanks,
Martin

Old 09-23-2014, 03:39 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got back Saturday from a 11 day 5k plus trip on my 06fatty. I have a mustang vintage wide touring seat w backrest, apes, highway pegs and a detachable fairing that I put on when I tour and shot gun shock. To me the answer is no cause I am comfortable as heck. Heck did 920 in one day on way out and back to back 750 on the way home. Only thing that I would like is a six gallon tank. Now when the kids are grown and the boss lady starts to come again in the trips I will get a touring bike but for one up I would not trade city comfort for a once a year trip. If you compare the stats the touring bikes have better lean angle but I enjoy dragging the boards so no biggie to me. Suspension is totally different but upgrade your stock suspension with something better and won't be as big of deal (tourers still have a better auspension vs an upgraded softie IMO).

Old 09-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Callgood
Tourer

Hmm, a Roadking is not a softail, it is in the touring family so it would be totally different. THe only "touring" softail from the factory would be the Heritage. And that is only because it has a shield and bags. Other than that they are about the same as a Fatboy or Deluxe.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Callgood
Hmm, a Roadking is not a softail, it is in the touring family so it would be totally different. THe only "touring" softail from the factory would be the Heritage. And that is only because it has a shield and bags. Other than that they are about the same as a Fatboy or Deluxe.

They actually ride and feel quite different.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes softails are completely different from all others Harley if not just because they have counterbalanced engines and the rest of the air cooled Harleys have rubber mounted engines. The tourers are the best Harleys for long distance stock. The tourers have cruise control, ABS brakes, fly by wire throttle, (depending on model) fairing, speaker system, iPod hook up, huge hard locking bags, 6 gallon gas tank, greater lean angle, Brembo brakes, newly designed frame in 2009 for better handling and not to mention all the changes made in 2014 with project Rushmore. In short Harley tourers are the best Harleys for touring.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Mighty_Mickey
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Road Kings are on an air ride suspension (most anyways) mounted like a Dyna and the wheelbase is longer than a softail. the difference between most softails is the frontend & rake, where its a fat fork like the fatboy, heritage & delux or skinny front end like the deuce, standard and breakout. the next difference would be the size of the rear wheel. Fatboy/Delux (I believe) runs a 200, Heritage a 160, Breakout a 300. I like the softails over the touring. I've had a Street Glide and the only difference to me is how you seat in the saddle on the softail making it more comfortable.
I'll take my Heritage any day all day over a touring bike.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Callgood
Tourer

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
They actually ride and feel quite different.
Do you mean between the Heritage, Deluxe and Fatboy? I have never ridden a Deluxe but have a Fatboy. I would think for touring, the Heritage would be the best out of the Softail family. I had mine setup with a nicer seat, bars and luggage rack for a big bag. It wasn't too bad, but after our first and only long 2-up trip on the Heritage is when I decided to buy a real touring bike. It wasn't that the Heritage was bad. I just wanted something with more comfort and ammenities. And the difference between the 2 for touring is huge. No comparison.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:26 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

The frame, brakes, cams, forks, etc. are different on the RKs. Test ride one and compare for yourself. Apples and oranges, really.

Last edited by MikeZ; 09-25-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:10 AM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

Do you mean between the Heritage, Deluxe and Fatboy? I have never ridden a Deluxe but have a Fatboy. I would think for touring, the Heritage would be the best out of the Softail family. I had mine setup with a nicer seat, bars and luggage rack for a big bag. It wasn't too bad, but after our first and only long 2-up trip on the Heritage is when I decided to buy a real touring bike. It wasn't that the Heritage was bad. I just wanted something with more comfort and ammenities. And the difference between the 2 for touring is huge. No comparison.
Ive never ridden a deluxe. But between the Heritage and fatboy they feel quite different. Think this has to do with tire size, seating position, and handlebars.

When I rode a fatboy I felt like the thing just fell into corners if that makes any sense.

Obviously the difference between a fatboy and road king is greater. The problem I had with the road king, when I rode one was that the road king felt quite a bit more top heavy. I wasnt ready for that.

That being said I put over 10k on my Heritage this year and feel if I was going to look again the road king would be on a very short list.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:17 AM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

Ive never ridden a deluxe. But between the Heritage and fatboy they feel quite different. Think this has to do with tire size, seating position, and handlebars.

When I rode a fatboy I felt like the thing just fell into corners if that makes any sense.

Obviously the difference between a fatboy and road king is greater. The problem I had with the road king, when I rode one was that the road king felt quite a bit more top heavy. I wasnt ready for that.

That being said I put over 10k on my Heritage this year and feel if I was going to look again the road king would be on a very short list.

Quick Reply: Is a touring softail really better for touring than a Fatboy?