Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air ride...modification to set frame on ground

Old 09-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Jimstang
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air ride...modification to set frame on ground

I'm researching and putting ideas together to modify my 14' Breakout so that when I bleed the air out of the ShotgunShocks, I'm able to set it on the ground and the bike will set level.
At the moment, I'm thinking about fabricating a retractable H shaped stand that is mounted under the frame that would be spring loaded and allow me to kick it down before I bleed the air out. Of course, it would have to be centered perfectly, stable, and wide enough for good stability.
I'm curious to see if anyone has any experience or has seen kits for softails...or even have an idea of your own of a good way to accomplish this modification.

I'm not dead set on doing this, just gathering some ideas. I've attached a picture of the H-shaped stand which is similar to the concept that I'm thinking of.

All replies, good, bad or insulting are welcome...heheh

Attached Thumbnails Air ride...modification to set frame on ground-imagesabhftka3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Goodlife (02-10-2017)
Old 09-25-2014, 09:43 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Do you really crave that much attention to compromise the already lesser quality of the Softail suspension?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:47 AM
UT-rckr
Road Master

I am going to look further into this myself over the winter for my Rocker. To actually have it sit on the frame would be a ton of work on the frame and swingarm, so I was thinking of something similar to your idea to be cheaper and easier. Basically, get a center stand and shorten it. Problem I am finding is that no one makes a center stand for a Rocker that I can modify, so looks like that will be done from scratch. The hard part is going to be mounting it. Not a lot of room left with the shock and compressor already mounted under there.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:48 AM
UT-rckr
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigMike
Do you really crave that much attention to compromise the already lesser quality of the Softail suspension?
Not sure how any suspension quality would be compromised, but please enlighten

Old 09-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Jimstang
Tourer

Originally Posted by BigMike

It's not a matter of 'craving attention' ...I just like the look of a level and slammed bike. Good talk though.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Jimstang
Tourer

Originally Posted by UT-rckr
I am going to look further into this myself over the winter for my Rocker. To actually have it sit on the frame would be a ton of work on the frame and swingarm, so I was thinking of something similar to your idea to be cheaper and easier. Basically, get a center stand and shorten it. Problem I am finding is that no one makes a center stand for a Rocker that I can modify, so looks like that will be done from scratch. The hard part is going to be mounting it. Not a lot of room left with the shock and compressor already mounted under there.
Coolness...it sounds like we are on the same page. Yeah, I've been mocking up ideas with cardboard to kind of see where I could mount and fold the stand in.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:57 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Biggest fear. Something goes wrong and air dumps when running 70mph and you slam down on your frame.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Jimstang
Tourer

Originally Posted by hspring03
Biggest fear. Something goes wrong and air dumps when running 70mph and you slam down on your frame.
Agreed. The good thing is that the frame will never go down to the ground with the air bled out. I'm gathering ideas to fabricate some type of center stand to basically take the place of the kickstand.

Good point too, I worded this thread incorrectly and I need to edit the title.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim: I think that you're going to have to spend a pretty penny to get that look (which I think is pretty cool). You'll need to get air for the front as well as the back and will most likely have to have a swingarm made. Please start a thread of this project if you decide on it, I'd be real interested in what it would take to make this happen. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Jimstang
Tourer

UT-rckr, this is the basic concept that I came up with (drawn very simplistic with MSPaint). The plates on the bottom would have to be wide enough for stability...I was also thinking that the bottom plates would be killer if they were black powder coated black diamond-plate.

Attached Thumbnails Air ride...modification to set frame on ground-h-stand.png  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air ride...modification to set frame on ground