Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 Inch Ape brands- Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Question to all- big difference between 12" and 14" apes (other than 2 inches...you jackels know what I mean )?

Pros? Cons? I know it's subjective...

I am hoping to try out some on a bike this weekend while in Reno...

Old 09-26-2014, 07:08 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch101st
Question to all- big difference between 12" and 14" apes (other than 2 inches...you jackels know what I mean )?

How tall are you?

I'm 5' 10" and have 12" bars on 2" risers. 14" rise total. I have the Bare Bones seat just like you, too. With the bars inline with the front forks, the grips are right at shoulder height.

Once you start to raise your hands above shoulder level, that is where you start to lose comfort.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:15 PM
MacKenzie001
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with 14" on a fatboy, stock risers and tilt them slightly forward. I'm 5'10, stock seat and badlander (don't think theres much if any height difference) and find they put my hands a bit below shoulder height, wish I gotten 16" personally, but I may just add an inch or two higher risers.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:34 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

If you want 1 1/2" diameter bars the LA Chopper tree hugger is worth considering. It is offered in both a traditional four bend and a mitered bar, both allow front to back adjustment ( tilt) yet are rock solid when clamped. I installed 16" four bend tree huggers on my Slim, the finish is excellent and I like the clean look of the 1/2" integrated riser with no clamp. The 13.5" version would be comparable to a 12" bar with 2" risers.
I went with Barnett cables, Namz plug n play wire extensions and a Goodridge brake line for my ABS upper. You will also want to install urethane riser bushings.
If you decide to go this route send me a pm and I will gladly help you with cable, brake line and wire lengths.

Attached Thumbnails 12 Inch Ape brands- Questions-img_20140914_184836_637.jpg   12 Inch Ape brands- Questions-img_20140914_184906_053.jpg   12 Inch Ape brands- Questions-img_20140914_184817_930.jpg  
Old 09-26-2014, 10:16 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I figured someone would have at least mentioned BR's Customs, especially if money isn't a real big issue. Get exactly what you want, exactly the size you want, fit any riser you want . Only downside is the 6-8 weeks delivery time. If you're thinking new bars I'd at least check out the website. I haven't got mine yet but they are ordered. brcustomcycles.com Good people, walk and talk ya through the whole deal. I actually built a scaffold, kinda like a mini gantry out of 2x4's over my bike to measure up exactly the rise and pullback I wanted. They suggest just using a broomstick held in the air but I had the time and material and think I got a better feel for the fit that way. It's all on their website how to measure and whatnot. Go take a look.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:30 AM
sLow5Rider
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How tall are you? I have 14" Carlini Evil Apes. I also work in Roseville.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

I guess I shoulda mentioned my height...5-10 here

SLow5Rider- And hello fellow Roseviller! Yea I would like to meet up sometime and take a look and f that's cool.

If I can do it, I would like to keep my stock risers. Sounds like 12s are what I want to go with...so for my cables, wires and line, should I be looking at measurements for a total of 14s? 12s plus the 2 inch riswrs?

Old 09-27-2014, 08:43 PM
sLow5Rider
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SLow5Rider- And hello fellow Roseviller! Yea I would like to meet up sometime and take a look and f that's cool.

If I can do it, I would like to keep my stock risers. Sounds like 12s are what I want to go with...so for my cables, wires and line, should I be looking at measurements for a total of 14s? 12s plus the 2 inch riswrs?
Definitely man. PM when you want to check it out. I'm usually available at night. I'm 5'7" so these Carlini 14's are a stretch and probably 2 inches over my shoulder. Might be more suitable for your height.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:04 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, 14" total rise. Check my comment a few posts back with my cable measurements.

Just a heads up if you do get bars that are 1.25" or 1.5", the stock risers might not work. Most bars over 1" diameter are stepped down to accept risers that only fit 1" bars. The stock Slim risers are flared out on the ends making them wider than most risers.

I know Wild1 says the stock Slim risers won't work with their bars due to this. Just something to thing about if you get bars thicker than 1".

Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FLS103
If you want 1 1/2" diameter bars the LA Chopper tree hugger is worth considering. It is offered in both a traditional four bend and a mitered bar, both allow front to back adjustment ( tilt) yet are rock solid when clamped. I installed 16" four bend tree huggers on my Slim, the finish is excellent and I like the clean look of the 1/2" integrated riser with no clamp. The 13.5" version would be comparable to a 12" bar with 2" risers.
I went with Barnett cables, Namz plug n play wire extensions and a Goodridge brake line for my ABS upper. You will also want to install urethane riser bushings.
If you decide to go this route send me a pm and I will gladly help you with cable, brake line and wire lengths.
Cool beans...when I get there, I will PM you for sure...will need help on the wire lengths out of everything I am thinking...

So the Treehuggers will do a tilt adjustment? How far back? I do have to say I do like the look of risers, but then again, the LA Chopper bars do look pretty dang clean. UGH- TOO MANY CHOICES!

Originally Posted by sLow5Rider
Definitely man. PM when you want to check it out. I'm usually available at night. I'm 5'7" so these Carlini 14's are a stretch and probably 2 inches over my shoulder. Might be more suitable for your height.
This week is already pretty full for the evenings...will shoot for something next week, will PM you. That said, Thursday might work...like I said, will PM.

Originally Posted by sioux565
Yep, 14" total rise. Check my comment a few posts back with my cable measurements.

Just a heads up if you do get bars that are 1.25" or 1.5", the stock risers might not work. Most bars over 1" diameter are stepped down to accept risers that only fit 1" bars. The stock Slim risers are flared out on the ends making them wider than most risers.

I know Wild1 says the stock Slim risers won't work with their bars due to this. Just something to thing about if you get bars thicker than 1".
I am wondering if HD changed the risers for 2014; in looking at them, they seem to be able to work...I am most likely missing something. I am leaning towards Wild1 so if I do end up going that route and they do not fit during the test fit, then I will have to do the switch I suppose.

Quick Reply: 12 Inch Ape brands- Questions