Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 Inch Ape brands- Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sioux565
Yep, 14" total rise. Check my comment a few posts back with my cable measurements.

Just a heads up if you do get bars that are 1.25" or 1.5", the stock risers might not work. Most bars over 1" diameter are stepped down to accept risers that only fit 1" bars. The stock Slim risers are flared out on the ends making them wider than most risers.

I know Wild1 says the stock Slim risers won't work with their bars due to this. Just something to thing about if you get bars thicker than 1".
So with that...risers suggestions? Been looking a bit online, MoCo site included, but still trying to figure that end out as well now...

Old 09-29-2014, 05:53 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch101st
So with that...risers suggestions? Been looking a bit online, MoCo site included, but still trying to figure that end out as well now...
Here is the link to the Wild1 page where it lists the fitment for Softails.

Look at J&P Cycles. They have a good selection of risers and top clamps there. I had a set of 4" Drag Specialties risers before I switched to apes. They were inexpensive and good quality.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I went with Hill Country Cycles pre-wired with cables and new all chrome controls. It cost a bit more than sourcing everything myself and soldering the wires but it was an easy plug and play install, piece of cake.

I'm 5-10 and have 3" risers and the 14" bars are at shoulder height. I think they look great and I was very happy with Hill Country. I wouldn't go taller as above the shoulder your hands will fall asleep which is annoying.

Here is my write up with pics and my tip on not spilling fuel when you remove the tank. Works great.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...cs-inside.html

Old 10-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's mine with 10" Wild1 chubbies. Internal wiring and new stanless cables. With the Lepara seat, it puts the grips right at shoulder height. Even with this, it's a bit of a chore to make tight turns. You guys running around with 16-18" apes must have some seriously long arms!

Also, I don't like sitting ram-rod straight up on a bike, so this height is good to still feel like you're sitting in the bike, not perched on a log.

Last edited by Benway; 10-01-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Default Wild Ones

great quality, good deal from Hill Country, very comfortable

Attached Thumbnails 12 Inch Ape brands- Questions-try-this-one-iii.jpg  
Old 10-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sLow5Rider
Definitely man. PM when you want to check it out. I'm usually available at night. I'm 5'7" so these Carlini 14's are a stretch and probably 2 inches over my shoulder. Might be more suitable for your height.
So got to try sLow5Rider's bars (thanks again man- really appreciate it!..and awesome looking bike!) last night and I am going to go with 12s. The 14s were a bit of a stretch for me so 12s it is.

So now it's on to decide who's...while I like the carlini's, they are a bit on the high end cost for me. So it's either the HD product or Wild1 Chubbys I am thinking. I do have to replace the risers anyhow, so definitely going 1.25 or 1.5 (probably 1.25); the 1" just look thin to me.

Going to go with the Magnum cables in black pearl (thank you for the measurements, Sioux565!)...seems they are the ones to get as a lot of folks have had very good luck with them.

So aside from the cable extension kit, banjo and master cylinder gaskets, and the bushings, anything else I need to look into?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

One other thing- not sure I mentioned already or if it's obvious, so humble apologies for the repeat if I am, but going to be doing the work myself...pretty good with tools and have the MoCo service manual as well as the Fix My Hog subscription. So I should be in pretty good shape.

That said, any special tools I should get above and beyond the basics (sockets, torque wrenches, etc)?

Also- to you Slim riders- how much of the front tin did you need to remove to get in and remove the riser bolts?

Old 10-03-2014, 12:58 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dutch101st
One other thing- not sure I mentioned already or if it's obvious, so humble apologies for the repeat if I am, but going to be doing the work myself...pretty good with tools and have the MoCo service manual as well as the Fix My Hog subscription. So I should be in pretty good shape.

That said, any special tools I should get above and beyond the basics (sockets, torque wrenches, etc)?

Also- to you Slim riders- how much of the front tin did you need to remove to get in and remove the riser bolts?
The two black panels behind the forks can be removed and that is how you access the riser bolts.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Default So Which Product?

So now I am trying to decide which product- the HD Mini Fat Apes or the Wild 1 Chubbys.

HD Mini Apes run $257 and come complete with risers
The Wild1 Apes will cost me about $325 complete ($200 for the bars, $130 for the risers/clamp).

Opinions? Pros and cons?

Old 10-06-2014, 05:05 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior

Check out Khrome Werks handlebars. I got mine from them and they are great quailty at an even better price.

You will need a new transmission cover gasket.

Perryross has the HD Mini Ape kit and the bars are not 12". The overall rise between bars and risers is 12". That kit might be shorter than you expect.

Quick Reply: 12 Inch Ape brands- Questions