Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Danny Gray Breakout Solo Seat - Velco

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Danny Gray uses metal and bolt for the same reason Harley does: in an accident or even a severe avoidance move, a seat that is not STRONGLY and RIGIDLY fastened to the bike will move a bit (or a lot), and that movement can be enough to cause you to "jerk" in your control of the bike, or to lose control entirely, and that can lead to disaster. That's why.

The velcro may seem like "enough", but in accident avoidance maneuvers, and even far more during actual collisions, that velcro will give way VERY quickly, as the acceleration force involved are so huge.

Harley warns you specifically about this in the owner's manual, without explaining why though.

Jim G

Jim, the last thing of concern is the seat coming off..............if I get into a crash my body will be off of the bike before the seat ever will be. With that, I get where your coming from but there are certain things I just Harley states that I just don't believe, nor will I follow because "they said so"....hence why they don't explain the "why" of their statement.

Happy riding brother!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodzilla6
Ditto...plus someone could pull your new seat off and bag it on you...at least if it's bolted like my Danny Gray seat, they would need to work at it...
Anyone can steal your stock seat or a Danny Gray..........take all of 60 seconds to remove a seat, bolts or not. With that, damn near everyone leaves their $200+ helmets on their bikes. No difference.

Originally Posted by 24v
This whole thread cracks me up. I thought about using velcro for my seat, but I did not just because bolts make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Warm and fuzzy inside..............gross, LOL!

Originally Posted by proraptor
Velcro on my harley? No thanks
Looks a helluva lot better then they mounting brackets and bolts HD and DG use that's for sure. My bike seat/rear fender is clean looking and doesn't budge one bit. To each their own though..........we all like different things but you should take a look at one if you get a chance, you might change your thought, or you might not.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:30 PM
lloyd123
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I had one hardtail I rode for a year with a shop rag for a seat,sat real low then and was not bolted on either