Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout with a cafe racer headlight fairing

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Hunter5179
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not bad at all. I'm 50/50 on it but it's much better than I expected

Old 09-30-2014, 09:23 PM
MacKenzie001
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
I think all of those small headlight fairings on HDs are hideous. I absolutely hate the Thug/Club/SOA look a like Dyna thread because they all have it. But the beauty about the land of the free is that you own the bike so you don't have to care what I think.
As long as you don't put like 14in risers on a drag bar and massive mirrors above that with built in signals lol.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:14 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
I don't really like it. It seems too narrow for the Breakout forks. I do like the idea, just not that particular fairing.
I agree. I do like the idea and I must confess that in the past months I thought about a similar mod on my BO (with a chin spoiler too) before adding the billet headlight shell, but didn't find a specific model for BO neither a generic one that could fit properly. The wider triple tree imho needs a wider fairing and if you look the bike from the side the gap between fork tubes and fairing seems too much. I think the fairing should follow in a closer way the contour of the fork tubes and triple tree to suit the BO. Maybe if you manage to pull the fairing a little bit back by modifying the brackets the final result will be nicer. Just my 0.02

Old 10-01-2014, 05:26 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
I don't really like it. It seems too narrow for the Breakout forks. I do like the idea, just not that particular fairing.
++++1

Old 10-01-2014, 06:00 AM
MSP Dan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it. A lot. I don't think it's too narrow for the Breakout forks, but of course that could just be me. I think it looks good that it sits completely inside the fork tubes. For my taste, it should sit completely inside, as it does, or be wide enough to completely cover the tubes without overhanging them by a bunch. I think it would only look really "wrong" if it either partially covered the tubes or was so wide that it overhung them by a few inches on each side. Does that even make sense? It does to me, anyways.

I do have to say, I think the Breakout is the best looking bike to come out of the factory for a very long time, just as it comes out of the factory.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:30 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I think the bike looks great. I know some people think of SOA when they see a bike with a quarter fairing or deflector like that but I think of the 1977-78 XLCR or the old Kaw Z-1Rs. It could just be the difference in age and how long someone has been a motorcycle rider.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Jimstang
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still 50/50 still and may just nix the idea all together. The more I look at it, the more I like the tough look of the wide 49mm forks and the fairing takes away from that. It was a $35 project and killed some boredom...so it wasn't a total bust.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Mighty_Mickey
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

looks good actually.. if only a little wider to cover the forks

Old 10-02-2014, 01:05 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimstang
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still 50/50 still and may just nix the idea all together. The more I look at it, the more I like the tough look of the wide 49mm forks and the fairing takes away from that. It was a $35 project and killed some boredom...so it wasn't a total bust.
Although I don't like the look so much, either, I wouldn't call it ugly or horrible. It's just a different style. If this experiment adds to your convincement not to go this way that money and time was well spent. Plus you have something to get back to later if you might change your mind

Old 10-02-2014, 04:38 AM
Jimstang
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Although I don't like the look so much, either, I wouldn't call it ugly or horrible. It's just a different style. If this experiment adds to your convincement not to go this way that money and time was well spent. Plus you have something to get back to later if you might change your mind
True that
I dig the straight forward no bull$hit answers from everyone whether they like it or think it looks hideous...hdforums doesn't hold back, glad I decided to join this site, this is the place for me.

Quick Reply: Breakout with a cafe racer headlight fairing