Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cardboard or gotsaggybags

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Nelmar
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gotsaggybags or carboard

I have a 2014 Heritage Classic and didn't want Texas weather to start deteriorating the leather saddlebags. And, I don't like the saddlebag deteriorated look. As a former KLR650 rider I'm always thinking of doing upgrades on the cheap. "You spent nearly $20k on a motorcycle and you're using cardboard found in a school dumpster to line your leather bags! exclaimed the wife. Ouch! It just so happens that I went for a ride to the Bedford's HD dealer. By the by I asked the counter dude if they carried anything to stiffen leather bags--Presto! Out came Yougotsaggybags kit for $119. I bought them on the spot as they were cheaper at the dealership than ordering from the manufacturer (no S & H charges)--and, I had already done my research on them. These were the ones I wanted. Immediately, I headed home to start the job.
It's a straight-forwarded job but it takes time to wedge the plastic parts between the seams--you will wrestle with the install a bit--you just have to experiment which way will work for you. Instructions are clear, but here's a bit of advice: Have four small weights and two pieces of wood to weigh down the lids that are glued son. The glue dries fast so you don't want to scurry about looking for weights or wood once you apply the glue. Instructions say you need about 40 lbs; I used about 25 and they came out fine. Gluing is the trickiest part so dry fit everything first.

Okay, as I mentioned before I do everything on the cheap. But, folks these Yougotsaggybags kit is a fine piece of engineering. Everything fits so tight and precise (you may have to trim/cut here/there), and all pieces are held together by pressure (except the lid that is glued). This is not ordinary plastic; you'll have to try very hard to break it.Yeah, I know-- lots of guys are like me, but in this case I'm glad I shelled out the $119, sweat, and a couple of sore fingers. My leather bags are firm, no sagging, and based on what I've read from other members, my bags will stay looking good for years to come. Next step is to use HD saddlebag cleaner and protectant to keep them looking showroom new. I say take out your homemade stiffners and get these--you won't be disappointed and you'll avoid your wife's scorn. Pix 1: removed cardboard inserts; Pix 2 front rail; Pix 3 the perimeter--this keeps parts in place; Pix 4 weighing it down; and, Pix 5 Finished with firm, plump bags.

Attached Thumbnails Cardboard or gotsaggybags-ia-cardboard-cheapie-.jpg   Cardboard or gotsaggybags-b-rail-.jpg   Cardboard or gotsaggybags-e-perimeter-install-.jpg   Cardboard or gotsaggybags-g-gluing-lids-.jpg   Cardboard or gotsaggybags-h-finished-product-.jpg  

Last edited by Nelmar; 10-06-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Cool

They came out great. It amazes me that harley is aware that there is a problem with this design sagging yet continues to build them this way.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:14 AM
boytimme
3rd Gear
Default Another fix

I installed Bag Iron bag supports from ridesolutionz.com
Cost about $115. No gluing required. Frames fit into top perimeter of bags.
A little tough to install - they're tight - had to remove bags from bike. They work great though.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:31 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

I put in PaPa bags inserts in my bags 5 yrs ago.. They do a good job also..

installs in minutes and no gluing..

http://papabags.com/?page_id=4698

Old 10-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

That's the first thing I bought for my Heritage.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Nelmar
Intermediate

Thanks. And, I agree--Harley should do something about the sagging. Third party manufacturers are beating them to the punch.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Nelmar
Intermediate

I was thinking of going with the rail too, but went with stiffners instead. Nice color on your bike by the way.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Nelmar
Intermediate

Looks easy to install. I like the fact that it's a metal rail, too. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:43 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I don't know what make I have but they have a rail around the openings of the bags. I had them installed in Daytona 2 years ago for about $100. They've held up perfectly.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:00 PM
jeff6898
Cruiser

ridesolutionz.com

I had these installed this past weekend and they did a amazing job on my bags. Frank is a great guy to deal with very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend these.

Quick Reply: Cardboard or gotsaggybags