Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clip on bars on the Rock!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 07:31 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Bike should run fine without the speedo. I rode mine like that for a few months.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good to know. I wonder if the breakout's dash will work on my tank

Old 10-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alain: I love the idea! When I first saw the Rocker, the first bike that came to my mind was Exile's Pure Sex Dragster. If I were to pick up a Rocker I would cut the fender like you have already done (not a fan of the spikes, though), throw on a set of clip-ons, and finish it off with a Sportster tank. Like this:

Old 10-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Sportster tank huh!!!! I could take the tank off my wife's 1200 sportster and see how that would look on my ride.

You Might be on to something there.

I first want to make sure that this stretch is not gonna be too much for me to handle.
Gonna stare at the bike and sit on it for a bit later today to get a good idea of the stretch.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:59 AM
SUUIE
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
Notice the crotch rocket riders on long trips. They are relieving their backs by leaning one arm on the tank. They have rearward foot positions where you have forwards. It won't be a long distance bike.
+1, when I put clip ons on my 2 stroke street bike, I put rear sets on at the same time. Watch out for them hitting the fuel tank as well.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:01 AM
SUUIE
Road Master

Originally Posted by *Flea*
The narrower your bars get, the more heavy your front end feels. You lose the leverage wider bars give you. The raked front end and narrow bars will feel much heavier than a front end with less rake and wider bars. Going to those clip on bars will make your front end feel 50 lbs heavier when turning. You won't be able to turn as quickly in the curves, and you'll feel the "added" weight at low speeds. You'll pretty much have a bike that is built for only going in a straight line for short periods of time.

To get an idea of what it will feel like to be in that position for a longer ride, sit on the floor and bend over to touch your toes. Obviously don't bend all the way over. Just far enough to match the approximate angle on your bike. Then have someone push against your chest while you try to stay bent over. Do that for about an hour straight. You'll see how quickly it can wreck your back.

It would look cool at Bike Night. However, to anyone who actually puts miles on their bike, they'll know you're either really sore or don't ride much.
This wasn't my experience at all with clip ons. My experience was that since they are attached directly to the fork tubes that the response is immediate.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

As I think this through I don't think I'll have much of a problem with leverage once the clip one are on.

The web site doesn't say exactly how long the bars are but since they are mounted to the fork legs RSD probably factored in how long they need to be I order to have a width good enough to have good handle characteristics.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:56 AM
*Flea*
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Alain
As I think this through I don't think I'll have much of a problem with leverage once the clip one are on.

The web site doesn't say exactly how long the bars are but since they are mounted to the fork legs RSD probably factored in how long they need to be I order to have a width good enough to have good handle characteristics.
The rake on the bikes RSD puts them on isn't quite as much as the Rocker. Also, look where the foot position is on many of the bikes with that style bar.

Anyone who thinks that style bar on a raked bike will handle well is simply fooling themselves in justifying the bars. Physics says otherwise. The bike will look good with them, though. Just won't want to make a long ride with them and the twisties will be slower.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do It! Lol

Zip tie a broom stick a cross your front end and see how the stretch feels

Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 PM
*Flea*
Cruiser

Does your state require mirrors, or at least one mirror? You might would need to get a bar end mirror. I think regular mirrors could look a little out of place.

Quick Reply: Clip on bars on the Rock!