Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clip on bars on the Rock!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:25 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Alain
Good to know. I wonder if the breakout's dash will work on my tank
I am not sure. I think your tank is longer than the regular Softail tank.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawaii-Five-Jo
Do It! Lol

Zip tie a broom stick a cross your front end and see how the stretch feels
Jo, I think you're more excited about this than I am loll loll.
Good idea with the broom stick

Originally Posted by *Flea*
Does your state require mirrors, or at least one mirror? You might would need to get a bar end mirror. I think regular mirrors could look a little out of place.
I see what you mean about RSD's bikes not being as raked out as mine. I'm not too worried about the mirrors, i was going to go with bar end mirrors from the get go. I love that look.
You do make a good point though with the foot position. RSD uses them clip ons mostly on Dynas and sportster with mid controls.

I hope someone who has ridden a bike with clip ons and similar dimension to mine chimes in.

I'm not too concerned with having to slow down on the s turns, what im really concerned with is making sure my back doesn't go out every time I go for a ride hahaha.

I should have attached a poll to this thread lol.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
I am not sure. I think your tank is longer than the regular Softail tank.
You might be right. Gotta go down to the stealership and take a look.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:24 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

Can't wait to see It, , Post some Pics even if you decide not to do-it.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

I think the look would be killer, but maybe not too good for riding comfort over long distances.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Jury is still out fellers. I didn't get a chance to sit on it and check the ridding position. I started fuzzin with the front wheel trying to get the spacing right.

I ended up cutting one of the spacers too short so I had to order another set of spacers ($47) from eBay. Now I gotta wait till this weekend to get these delivered and tackle it again.

I hate when a simple job turns into a ****ing task!!!!

Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It won't be all that comfortable, but man will it look cool!

Maybe throw a set of passenger pegs on it so you can hook your feet over them on the highway and take a little pressure off the back.

Your trail number is what affects the handling, and that isn't changing. The height of the bars doesn't affect leverage much at all, it's the distance the grips are from the pivot point of the neck (overall width). Whether your hands are low or high shouldn't matter, you're still rotating the front end around the centerline of the pivot. I really don't think the handling will change that drastically, but I'm an idiot and if you ask my gf, I'm pretty much always wrong sooooooo......

Good luck, would love to see some pics if you go this route!

Old 10-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

So I zip tied some plastic brush handles to the triple trees and kind of got a general idea for what the ridding position would be. Here is a pic.

Looks wise it's bad ***. I mean the bike with clip ona and contrast cut controls would be bitchin!!

As far as comfort. Well I'm definitely reaching a lot. I propped the plastic handles where I could put some of my body weight on them being that while ridding I'll be able to put my body weight on the bars as opposed to holding myself up using my back and abs. once I was able to put some of my body weight I realized it is not as bad as you would think. I also realized that I'm forced to look up quite a bit.

I couldn't possible be any more torn between doing it or not doing it. I'm gonna re-visit it tomorrow again and keep sitting on the bike in that position till I decide either way. Might take me a day, might take me a week. I can't ride the thing anyway cause I'm still waiting on the axle from HHI (another week and a half at the very least).

Here is a shitty pic my buddy took.

Attached Thumbnails Clip on bars on the Rock!-image.jpg  
Old 10-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Alain
So I zip tied some plastic brush handles to the triple trees and kind of got a general idea for what the ridding position would be. Here is a pic.

Looks wise it's bad ***. I mean the bike with clip ona and contrast cut controls would be bitchin!!

As far as comfort. Well I'm definitely reaching a lot. I propped the plastic handles where I could put some of my body weight on them being that while ridding I'll be able to put my body weight on the bars as opposed to holding myself up using my back and abs. once I was able to put some of my body weight I realized it is not as bad as you would think. I also realized that I'm forced to look up quite a bit.

I couldn't possible be any more torn between doing it or not doing it. I'm gonna re-visit it tomorrow again and keep sitting on the bike in that position till I decide either way. Might take me a day, might take me a week. I can't ride the thing anyway cause I'm still waiting on the axle from HHI (another week and a half at the very least).

Here is a shitty pic my buddy took.
Originally Posted by jreichart
It won't be all that comfortable, but man will it look cool!

Maybe throw a set of passenger pegs on it so you can hook your feet over them on the highway and take a little pressure off the back.

Your trail number is what affects the handling, and that isn't changing. The height of the bars doesn't affect leverage much at all, it's the distance the grips are from the pivot point of the neck (overall width). Whether your hands are low or high shouldn't matter, you're still rotating the front end around the centerline of the pivot. I really don't think the handling will change that drastically, but I'm an idiot and if you ask my gf, I'm pretty much always wrong sooooooo......

Good luck, would love to see some pics if you go this route!

Funy you mention the passenger pegs. I already have them on the bike and I already throw my feet on them while ridding with the apes (it's surprisingly comfortable).

I tried that with the plastic handles as well and it seems like it would also be comfortable but it was hard to tell for sure because I wasn't able to totally put my weight on the plastic handles while having my feet on the passenger pegs.
Right now I'm leaning towards doing it.

I don't want to half *** this mod and jump into it UNTILL I'm totally sold on it. I'm getting a whole new set of hand controls, grips, mirrors, wiring harness, brake line and throttle cables so that I can go back and forth from apes to clip ons without having to change hand controls and such from one set of bars to the other.

So because of that this is gonna be a bit more expensive than your usual bar swap.

And I totally agree with you on the handling not changing too much. It looks like my hand position on the clip on bars will be maybe an inch closer together than what it is now with my apes. The rake and trail ain't cahnging so that's not a factor. If anything being in that forward position will be a lot more confidence inspiring than what it is now with the apes when it comes to leaning hard into corners.

Here is another shitty pic.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

And one with the apes I'm currently running.

Quick Reply: Clip on bars on the Rock!