Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice: Removing Inner Primary Housing 08-LATER ONLY

Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
+1 to the dremel/grinder method. Takes a lot less time and less parts. Once it's done, if you ever have to go back there again it is also much easier.

The rotor should just come out by hand. They can get a little sticky sometimes, but it's rare since these bikes are late model. The picture above has the primary chain/compensator removed and that rotor does not have the "spring cover" affixed to it, which I think is the disk you're referring to.

Did yours look something like this:

the pic I posted has the SE comp rotor installed. the one you posted is the non-SE comp with the spring pack housing spot welded to the rotor assy. As for removal of the stock comp, I just used two pairs of pliers and grabbed a hold of the spring housing on opposing sides and pulled it right out. sure there was some magnetic pull to it, but requiring a special tool to pull it is ridiculous.

I think HD wanted the "lip" to maintain a uniform width of the sealing flange surface around the primary assy. manufactures usually do everything for a reason, stupid or not.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
I think HD wanted the "lip" to maintain a uniform width of the sealing flange surface around the primary assy. manufactures usually do everything for a reason, stupid or not.
I agree that this is why but looking at the part, it's hard to imagine that they couldn't have kept the width uniform by having the surface go further out rather than inward. But then I'm guessing that they wanted to avoid having to change up the outer primary cover to match...

Old 10-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
If your luck is anything like mine; as sure as you don't grind that lip, the new stator will fail in a month
Well hopefully my luck is not like yours or that would suck.

Honestly though; I get the impression that I either have VERY good luck or just take good care of my motorcycle. Maybe it's a bit of both. After 6 years and 63K miles this is the first major repair I've had to do and despite the headache I initially had with the inner primary, I still count this as a relatively easy fix now that I know what all is involved.