Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed: removing rear wheel on 06' Springer Classic Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:12 AM
pittsburgh77
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Advice needed: removing rear wheel on 06' Springer Heritage

Hey guys, looking for some input/advice for removing my rear wheel on my '06 FLSTSC. This will be my first time pulling a rear wheel on this bike and I haven't been able to find any relative videos on YouTube. ( I have watched a few videos for other Softail models, but just trying to reach out for some model specific info)

-I have an 05' Softail service manual that was extremely helpful when I had my Fxstsi. Would this manual from 05 apply to my current 2006 bike?

Last November I had acquired my current 06 Springer with 386 miles. I just hit 9k miles when I got a lovely screw in my back tire, putting the bike out of service !

From the looks of it: I just have to remove the rear brake caliper bracket, both axel tensioners, and the axel.

If anyone has this model, can provide some input, or can direct me towards a video specific to this model, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by pittsburgh77; 10-11-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Well I have an 08 and 11 softails but when I remove the rear tire I just remove the axel and leave the adjusters alone. That way unless I have questions about alignment I don't have to go through that process once again. Also when I put the axel back in I swap the direction that it goes in so I'm not having to mess with my exhaust the next time trying to get the axel out(just have to have room to remove the nut). Of course this makes no difference if you have dual exhausts but I'm a 2 into 1 guy. I also find it easier to remove the caliper off the mount but once again I'm dealing with a 200mm tire and it gets real tight in there. It's just two bolts and makes life easier for me. Hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:05 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Turn both adjusters an equal # of turns out and write down the #. After install, put the adjusters back where they were. I mark a deep socket with a Sharpie to aid in counting the revolutions.
Start soaking the axle/bearings with some PB Blaster the night before. I've split an axle trying to remove it due to it sticking to the bearings. They do not use anti-sieze on the axle when they're assembled at the factory.