Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach install goes BAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:45 PM
CANTDR55
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tach install goes BAD

Started this in another thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1489588/tm.htm

Here's follow up:

So Tach works BUT might have killed the Speedo. Took the bike for a test-drive and had no odometer and no speedo. I can push trip button and odometer reading shows for total mileage on bike but no trips are displayed.

According to the Electric Diagnostic manual you can do a speedo check by pushing in the trip reset, turning the ignition switch ON then let go of trip button. Make sure kill switch in on RUN. For me nothing happens. Next step: It says to then push trip button with ignition off. If the odometer displays replace speedometer.

Not sure what happened. I had the whole speedo/dash off the bike while I ran wires and spliced in to everthing you need to install tach.

Brief run down on what I did. My bike is a ‘05 Night train: carbed. The tach is an Autometer mounted along with my HD oil pressure gauge on a rocker bracket

As I read here on the forum and in the directions I borrowed for installing a HD tach I got power for by tapping into the speedo’s power and ground, which was the orange wire with WHITE stripe and solid black wire.

The tough part for me is the tach leads. According to both HD tach instructions, wrench at the dealer and guys here on the forum you can use the empty #3 slot in the plug for the speedo to get the tach signal. For me that was a no- go. Would not work. No tach signal. Had I had EFI and not carbed that should have worked. Autometer’s instructions imply the same. I pulled out the wire I made for the #3 slot in plug and left it as it was when I started.

Went to plan B and just spliced into the two coil wires that plug into the ICM under the seat. ( FYI: the autometer tach has TWO signal wires so I just spliced each one to a coil wire and left the tach setting to stock one pulse- You have a choice of 1 pulse or 2 pulse) All connections are soldered and “shrink tubed” so all connections are good. As I said before tach works great.

So now it’s off to dealer to take it without any lube and have the speedo changed out, Unless ( I hope) they have other tests that will prove me wrong.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:06 PM
CANTDR55
Tourer
Default RE: Tach install goes BAD

A happy ending to it all. Only cost $147.00. Which beats having to replace the speedo. The tech that did the work was not there when I picked up the bike but from what I got from the service manager is that my taking the power off from the speedo was what went wrong. They ended up just re-splicing into the harness were you add on accessories (like the instructions say you should) and that fixed the problem. Makes sense as from reading through the Electric Diagnostic manual there are codes thrown when something bad happens and one of which is an overload on the Speedos’ power. On the work order they put down “repair open power lead”. I might have not gotten a good connection when I spliced in to the power harness. I’m just happy that all is well. Below are two pics. One of final install and the other is where I spliced the tach signal leads into the harness near the plug for the ignition module under the seat. The tach leads are green and are spliced into each of the coil leads, which are labeled in wiring diagram as front and rear.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:17 PM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the newer bikes if you push the tripometer reset with the bike off the mileage on the odometer will display. This is normal.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:35 PM
CANTDR55
Tourer

Right, I just found that out. forgot to add after reading OP and I fixed below what forgot go to add in CAPS

"According to the Electric Diagnostic manual you can do a speedo check by pushing in the trip reset, turning the ignition switch ON then let go of trip button. Make sure kill switch in on RUN. For me nothing happens. Next step: It says to then push trip button with ignition off. If the odometer displays go to next step.
NEXT STEP; TURN ON INGNITION AND IF ODOMETER DOES NOT SHOW REPLACE SPEEDO.

I'm just glad it did not go that route

Old 04-13-2007, 07:57 PM
CANTDR55
Tourer

I got a few e-mails about where to get this set up.
Here's all info

I got it ( tach + Bracket) from Jpcycles.com

Tach (2"-5/8) is p/n 570-004 $214.00
Bracket p/n 740-951 $268.99

I had already had the rocker mounted oil pressure gauge from HD.

New Bracket was meant for an Autometer oil pressure gauge but the HD one fit just fine. I just added a piece of tape around gauge for snugger fit. Both gauges are held into bracket by allen set screws on rocker side.

Also if you wire in tach signal leads to coil wires as I did, tach stays on
one pulse ( factory setting)