Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 Inch Mini Fat Apes- So it begins!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sioux565
I would recommend buying a pair of polyurethane riser bushings. After my ape install, I reused the stock rubber bushings and the bars were too "mushy." A set of poly bushings firmed up the front end.
Poly bushings arrive with the bars and the stainless crossover line...WAAAAAAAAAAAY AHEAD. Yea, I like research

Originally Posted by sLow5Rider
Let me know if you need any help, Shane! Can't wait to see this!
Think I got it brohaim...but you still have an open invite to come on by.

On a seperate note, I have a new neighbor who has moved in and homer has a sweet Indian. Haven't had a chance to check it out up close but it's a damn fine looking machine. Funny thing was as he was moving in, his squirrelly douche man-friend was all buttery over pointing out his buddy's Indian due to the fact that he only saw my front tire...the exchange went something like:

Douchey Man-friend: "Oh hey you check out your new neighbors bike...it's old school" (spoken as he waddles towards my garage)

Me: yea- saw that, nice ride

Douchey Man-friend: "Yea well it's...it's..." (Sees me, my bike apart as I run the new clutch cable) "...yea...well it's nice. You do your own work?"

Me: Yea. Yea I do. Every scoot owner should do their own work

Douchey Man-friend: "Oh...well I'm going to get my own one...well...good luck with that"

Me: yea thanks...take care!

Funny thing was the whole waddling up to my garage all buttery over his buddies bike until he got right up and the "oh ****" washed over his face. Pretty funny. Anyways, the new neighbor is pretty cool and hung out a bit to check out my progress on the bars swap.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:55 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

So update:

Cables and brake line came today; got the cluch cable installed, clutch cover and gasket installed. Clutch cable routed and tied off. Ideal and Throttle cables installed, air cleaner remounted. Exhaust heat shields remounted, clutch cover bolts torqued. Transmission refilled.

Lastly, all my cables are extended; I could not figure out how to de-pin the connectors...I didn't want to run the risk of damaging them. So I cut them (staggered of course) off and did my splice and solder with TONS of extra length. I was hoping for a one splice per wire deal, but want to be...so it will be two, which should be ok. The connections are solid and shrink wrapped. I am taking my time and thinking the puzzle through so I'm pretty confident it will be good to go.

Bars arrive tomorrow, so will test mount them, adjust where I want them, then get the bars and risers set. Once that's done, I'll pull them, run the wires, mount the controls and measure, cut and connect the electrical. Then one last test fit before tightening everything down.

Put in a good 3.5 hours tonight (splice and solder took a while) and am as cosh over half way...in the home stretch. Jonesing BAD to finish and ride...

Pics posted tomorrow, I'm beat

Old 10-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

And so pics from last night's work...

New clutch cable installed; had an issue with the gasket (leak) so had to pull and replace. All is good now.

Heat shields remounted...

New idle and throttle cables installed on the throttle body...yea, noodled through the difference between to two cables. Just happened to spring to mind.

Cables waiting for the bars (wont be here until the afternoon...sigh)

Air cleaner remounted

Wiring harnesses extended out; as its a 2 splice deal, I have them extended out and will measure once I get the bars mounted...once they get here (do I seem impatient for them to get delivered?!?)

I am in the home stretch here...with some luck and patience, I should have everything ready and together tonight. Will have at least a start up and test of all the electrical, maybe a roll around the apartment complex. Ride tomorrow for sure.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:18 PM
bdrf
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you keeping or selling the bar that was on ?

Old 10-17-2014, 05:22 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good so far, Dutch! You're going to wish you did this sooner after your first ride.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bdrf
are you keeping or selling the bar that was on ?
Haven't really thought about it...as I really cannot put them back on, I most likely will be selling them

Old 10-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

The bars are on and some minor adjustments, I AM DONE. GOt things wrapped up, test ride and eveything, at 9:30 pm last night. UPS arrived with my bars at 3:20 pm yesterday and I promptly went to work. Six hours later, I closed the garage and called it good.

Here are the last pix from the project and then some other information...

Bars unboxed and risers test fitted to triple tree

Bars test fitted

Last of the wire extensioning done

Controls and wires mounted; bars torqued down to where (about) I want them

All controls, levers, cables, lines and all other items placed back on.

Off the rack and back ready for test ride!!

So the biggest thing was "will this start and run when I get it all together"? Happy to say that everything started, electrical is sound, and the test ride went very well. Took a ride this morning for the usual breakfast with my best friend and cruised around the old town here for a bit. All in all, I think I need to bring the bars back about 1/2 inch and then I think things will be golden. I also have a couple of minor things to reseat and adjust, no more than 20 minutes of work...and then there is the garage to clean up.

The next project, 2-3 months from now, will be some V&H HotShots Long, which, of course, I will do myself like I did this project. All in all, I am quite pleased with how things came out, will get some good pictures this afternoon or tomorrow. Here are two I took this morning...

Old 10-18-2014, 03:13 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior

They turned out great! Your bike looks 10 times better with apes on.

This thread will definitely help others in the future with ape installation.

Also, welcome to the club!

Old 10-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sioux565
They turned out great! Your bike looks 10 times better with apes on.

This thread will definitely help others in the future with ape installation.

Also, welcome to the club!
Thanks! I ended up having to adjust them back about a half an inch and it's just about perfect.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:57 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dutch101st
Thanks! I ended up having to adjust them back about a half an inch and it's just about perfect.
The first few hundred miles I found myself adjusting them to find that sweet spot. I've been happy with them rotated maybe an inch forward of being inline with the forks.

Quick Reply: 12 Inch Mini Fat Apes- So it begins!