Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freedom upswept Exhaust on Softail Slim

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 AM
amike
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Freedom upswept Exhaust on Softail Slim

I just ordered the Freedom Upswept exhaust for my 2013 Slim. Since then, I've seem some pic's where rear cyl. pipe may interfere with the rear passenger peg. Have anyone with these pipes had a problem with interference?

Old 10-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I have the upsweeps on my FatBoy, same basic frame and funny you should post this today since I just got done modifying my passenger pegs to fit mine today. The pipe will not allow you to fold up the peg, I had to add a 2" extension on my peg mount to fix it so it could fold. I also had to grind a notch in the original mount to clear the heat shield on the rear pipe. Nice thing is it kinda looks like a kick starter. Luckily I don't usually even have the pass pegs on since I have another bike to ride two up and don't need them. did this for emergencies. Added a pic of a slim with the shark tails on it I took at a dealer, he didn't have pass pegs on either.

Attached Thumbnails Freedom upswept Exhaust on Softail Slim-091814b.jpg   Freedom upswept Exhaust on Softail Slim-fishtails-a.jpg  

Last edited by Gunnysgt; 10-15-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have that exhaust on both my Slim and on my wife's Lo. It's bitchin', but I don't know that I'd want to ride a passenger with 'em - pretty close to leg/butt, and probably loud as heck, too. In fact, I won't ever have a passenger on either of the softails because of that, but I have the Road King for any 2-up riding I want to do.

Here's an old photo of my bike, another, closer up for the area the peg will mount to, and a last one with both the Lo and the Slim. Hope this is helpful...

Oh, one last thing - the instructions for my exhaust were for the old version. Still worked, but there was no mention of the O2 sensor bung adapters. Unless they have changed the exhaust again, the sensors on your Slim are the smaller (8mm?) ones, and the bungs in the pipes are for the larger ones (12mm?). There IS a pair of adapters in your hardware kit. There is NOT a new set of exhaust gaskets, so you might want to grab a new pair. Go with the usual conical ones, not the Screaming Eagle ones, which are flat, and I had a problem with them sealing, resulting in a leak.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

One other thing, your signals are more forward than my Fatboy, I am working to solve the issue of a heated right Turn Signal lens that is getting burnt by the exhaust. I will be shortening the signal stalks by about 3/4 inch. Yea, use the conical gaskets on the ports.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, Gunny... on the wife's Lo, we just stripped the turn signals off, and went with a Custom Dynamics LED tail light with integrated ones. We'll eventually put on some Alloy Art strut end LED turn signals, too... but yeah, the stock ones don't really play nice with the upswept pipes. As you mentioned, the signals on the Slim are far enough forward that it's not an issue. I changed out my lenses with some Autogem glass ones - wonder if that would solve your problem, still be an issue, or if they'd even fit.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:54 AM
amike
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info, guy's!

Old 10-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

I've already started to chop the FatBoy, new fenders, side mount plate from a Breakout etc, I'm gonna trim those stalks on the signals way back, I may lose the tailight completely and just run the LED lights in the signals like a breakout