Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Outing !

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:31 PM
SimonR
Tourer
Received 148 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
Bike looks great. Sometimes I'm not very good at explaining things without adding a picture but I'll give it a try. On my Springer I relocated the turn signals down lower on my forks to clean up the bars a little. When that was done, behind the turn signal relocating bracket on the right side, where it attached to the forks, there is a loop of wire that was installed behind the signal relocation bracket. My cables were rerouted through that loop that is about 3/4" by 1". I can turn my bars all the way to the right and they don't touch my tank. It is an easy fix, hope this helps.
Thanks - that does help - I "think" that it is being used for my brake line - do all three of your cables go through it - I checked the service manual and it says that the throttle ones should go there but no where does it say if the brake one should as well ?

Old 10-17-2014, 12:36 PM
SimonR
Tourer

This is the bit I think we are on about .... my cables aren't long enough to go through there so I'll be getting some longer ones

So should it hold all three ?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Your cables are probably not long enough for those handlebars. As was said on a previous thread there is a wire loop on the forks, that's for the throttle cables, that will prevent the cables from hitting the tank, I must say usually. Those are very wide bars so you might have to be inventive. Just looked back at the picture posted and that is not the loop the cables go through. It goes on the lower bolt of the detatch windshield bracket. If you want a picture let me know.

Last edited by Snowyone; 10-17-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:44 PM
SimonR
Tourer

Originally Posted by Snowyone
Your cables are probably not long enough for those handlebars. As was said on a previous thread there is a wire loop on the forks, that's for the throttle cables, that will prevent the cables from hitting the tank, I must say usually. Those are very wide bars so you might have to be inventive. Just looked back at the picture posted and that is not the loop the cables go through. It goes on the lower bolt of the detatch windshield bracket. If you want a picture let me know.
A picture would be great please

Old 10-17-2014, 05:28 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonR
This is the bit I think we are on about .... my cables aren't long enough to go through there so I'll be getting some longer ones

So should it hold all three ?

Yes, I will explain my set up. I have 16" apes on my Springer and my wire loop is on the back side of my forks than where your metal loop is. I have braided steel cables and all three go through the loop with plenty of room to spare but my wire loop is also larger than your metal loop.

P.S. In other words, your loop is facing the front and mine is facing the tank, hope this helps.

Last edited by SPRINGER; 10-17-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:39 PM
SimonR
Tourer

Yes, I will explain my set up. I have 16" apes on my Springer and my wire loop is on the back side of my forks than where your metal loop is. I have braided steel cables and all three go through the loop with plenty of room to spare but my wire loop is also larger than your metal loop.

P.S. In other words, your loop is facing the front and mine is facing the tank, hope this helps.
That makes sense ! Thanks

I've done a temp fix that works - zip tied the cables where they go under the tanks and this makes them bow outwards away from the tank as you turn right !

I'll be sorting a proper bracket out

Old 10-17-2014, 10:26 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonR
That makes sense ! Thanks

I've done a temp fix that works - zip tied the cables where they go under the tanks and this makes them bow outwards away from the tank as you turn right !

I'll be sorting a proper bracket out
Cool, sometimes zip ties are your friends too.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:12 PM
RnR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful bike. Great job on the photo.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:28 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool, sometimes zip ties are your friends too.
exactly...keep all sizes and lengths!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:33 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Clean and tighten battery cables on all ends, even if they look good. Test battery output voltage. While under the seat, check main plug at ECM, make sure it's tight. Check all grounds and connections under seat, check for corrosion on terhinals.

Last edited by checkers; 10-22-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: First Outing !