Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Carlini Apes owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 01:24 PM
skullphyre
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. 16 " bars with the high roller risers. I'm 6 foot with a deluxe with a stock seat. 1.25 sounds a little better. I wasn't realizing how wide the 1.5 bars were.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:53 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Im 57 and 5' 10" and I have the 1.5" 14" Gangsters. Fits me PERFECT!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lonny Morgan
Meant to ask height on your bars
16's. As mentioned there is a lot to consider when getting Apes. Is the bike lowered ,lo profile seat etc. do you ride with the bars pushed forward.

I ride pretty slammed on shotgun shocks with a Le Pera bare bones so Im probably losing 4" in ride height right there.

Height aside though, low speed maneuvers with really wide bars is a PITA. For me anyway.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Lonny Morgan
Advanced

Originally Posted by 06 flstfise
In my quest for the right bars I had a set of apes that were roughly that wide and while not uncomfortable when I had windshield or fairing off the "sail" effect was horrible. Currently have 14 inch gangsters that I love, 5'11". I run a le pera seat most of the time that drops me so just under my shoulders. I run a mustang vintage wide when on road trip and it raises me up and lowers arms but still comfy cause I can lean back into back rest. I suggest taking a broomstick and hold it at where each would put your arms.
Do you have a pic? If so please feel free to share it

Old 10-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Otter
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

14” 1.5 gangsters and I’m 5’10” also, love’em!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Lonny Morgan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Otter
14” 1.5 gangsters and I’m 5’10” also, love’em!
I wished I could sit on a bike with 14" and 16" cause the more I really analyze things the more I am leaning to 16" and my reason is this...

I feel that the way the 16" would flow actually would push me back a hair making me sit back a little more which would be comfortable... I know it's just 2 inches but I feel like it might make a big difference...

maybe I am tripping and have thought this out way too hard lmao... but I don't want to send bars back and deal with shipping etc... I mean the height from measuring doesn't seem so drastic cause I imagine the way you would set the bars up would be dif. example (14" could push forward - 16" would flow with the forks a little more)

am I making sense or am I way off lol... this is happening today... I am making the order... just deciding still...

Old 10-22-2014, 11:05 AM
want2ride
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wished I could sit on a bike with 14" and 16" cause the more I really analyze things the more I am leaning to 16" and my reason is this...

I feel that the way the 16" would flow actually would push me back a hair making me sit back a little more which would be comfortable... I know it's just 2 inches but I feel like it might make a big difference...

maybe I am tripping and have thought this out way too hard lmao... but I don't want to send bars back and deal with shipping etc... I mean the height from measuring doesn't seem so drastic cause I imagine the way you would set the bars up would be dif. example (14" could push forward - 16" would flow with the forks a little more)

am I making sense or am I way off lol... this is happening today... I am making the order... just deciding still...
Best to get the 16" apes right out of the gate. Any size less then that (14") you will wind up doing the job twice at twice the expense. You will have the ability and flexibilty to adjust the roll & the grips once there on and you ride some miles with them installed..

Old 10-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Lonny Morgan
Advanced

Originally Posted by want2ride
Best to get the 16" apes right out of the gate. Any size less then that (14") you will wind up doing the job twice at twice the expense. You will have the ability and flexibilty to adjust the roll & the grips once there on and you ride some miles with them installed..
thanks man... yeah I am going with 14's - I am too up and down with this lol... so I am just gonna go with 14's and play it safe

Old 10-22-2014, 03:10 PM
rockinred
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks man... yeah I am going with 14's - I am too up and down with this lol... so I am just gonna go with 14's and play it safe
I'd say 16's if you got with the 1.25 and 14's if you go with 1.50 bars. That is for Carlini bars.

I am 5ft 8in and have always road the wide. From my older 1.5 buffalo bars 16s to my current 1.5 14's big and wide is the way to go for me.

Good luck!

Old 10-22-2014, 03:25 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinred
I'd say 16's if you got with the 1.25 and 14's if you go with 1.50 bars. That is for Carlini bars.

I am 5ft 8in and have always road the wide. From my older 1.5 buffalo bars 16s to my current 1.5 14's big and wide is the way to go for me.

Good luck!
Yes to this. 14s if you go 1.5 and 16s if you do 1.25.

Quick Reply: Question for Carlini Apes owners