Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chain case oil and gear lube. change

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:40 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redline Oils

Engine. 5000 miles or every 12 months
Primary. 10000 miles or every 24 months
Transmission 10000 miles or every 24 months

The above is about half what this oil can run under ideal conditions.

Since few run ideal conditions I half it to be sure. I've done this with every Harley I've had and most everything else since the early 80's when I discovered synthetic oils. I've put a lot of miles on bikes since then and never had one that ran bad or burned oil.

IMHO any more than this is a waste of time and money.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

The transmission and primary have no filter and get beat up more then the engine. Change it all. Obviously, you really do not need to change the filter every time. Guess your bike is out of warranty, so truly, at that mileage, you will never wear it out if you never change it. I would probably change it all once a year and the filter every 2 years. If the 2K was all long runs, I would change it all every 2 or 3 years. Not going to hurt it. I base this on the fact that in the 60's I changed oil ever 4 months. Now I change my new car and truck once a year. They last just as long and I put 10K or so on them a year. I have let my Harley go as long as 2 years as my riding tapered off but I rid all the time but not very far, so I change it all once a year and the filter every other time. At 45 K, it runs like new. Also has the original tensioners.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:05 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
change all three once a yr if you ride less than 5K miles a yr if you use a Good Syn oil....
and use Amsoil Sinth.20/50 all aroun!
Edit;or sinth Amsoil 10/40 in the primary and 75/90 in the trans if you're gonna be ****.
ps: also remember that oil will evaporate. So check it and add.

Last edited by splattttttt; 10-23-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:14 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

The primary fluid gets a lot nastier than the trans fluid. I change the primary every year and the trans every other year.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:19 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by martin10
The primary fluid gets a lot nastier than the trans fluid. I change the primary every year and the trans every other year.
needs the thicker goo. But as I mentioned earlier. Good quality sinth. goes a long long way.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBill2566
Redline Oils

Engine. 5000 miles or every 12 months
Primary. 10000 miles or every 24 months
Transmission 10000 miles or every 24 months

The above is about half what this oil can run under ideal conditions.

Since few run ideal conditions I half it to be sure. I've done this with every Harley I've had and most everything else since the early 80's when I discovered synthetic oils. I've put a lot of miles on bikes since then and never had one that ran bad or burned oil.

IMHO any more than this is a waste of time and money.
I agree if you are running synth.

I follow this schedule as well, but my bike lives in a heated garage. For those that do not have this luxury and store theirs in cold storage over the winter may choose to change all three holes every winter.

You paid a great deal of your hard earned money for your bike, 2 more quarts of oil is a cheap way to give your baby a little TLC.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:01 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Not to stray to far from the subject. But damn if they didn't make the transmission drain plug hard to get to on late model Softails. On other models it is right there where you can see it.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:18 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by martin10
Not to stray to far from the subject. But damn if they didn't make the transmission drain plug hard to get to on late model Softails. On other models it is right there where you can see it.
quoted for truth!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:46 AM
DigbyHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went with Redline in the primary and engine
Primary shifted better was so loud i thought something was wrong with the bike.
Changed it to Mobil 1 20-50 and its smooth, not as quiet as the harley dino but shifts better than the redline and dino.

As for the engine oil, (I ran Mobil 1 20-50 before) the engine ran like crap from the beginning and has gotten worse.
Loud ticking, not smooth and running hotter. also i have a heavy breather and i believe the oil the motor is sucking in thru the heavy breather is effecting the engine more than the mobil 1 did and the pool of oil under the plug has doubled.

I will be switching back to mobile one in the engine, redline may work well for others but its more expensive and didnt work well for me.

Still trying to decide what to put in the trany tho...

Old 10-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Today, I had services performed by two different shops. One was a scheduled 15K service, from an independent shop ( a former dealer tech), and the other was a rear tire replacement at a Harley dealership.

That particular Harley dealership has a policy of "any Dunlop tire, installed, for $220". So I went for that, because the best internet prices I've found put the tire alone at around $300 or higher.

My initial invoice, which I was invited to sign and approve, was something in the neghborhood of $430. After I reminded the service manager that we'd already agreed on the "any Dunlop tire installed on a spoked rim for $220", he backpedaled a bit by saying that the discount is normally applied after the work is done. That supposedly would have happened after I signws for the $430 price.

Duh, Harley Davidson, get a grip!
A lot of us are enamored by the Harley tradition and legend, but are not willing to go totally stupid to support your brand.

Quick Reply: chain case oil and gear lube. change