Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is taking the black OFF their bike?

Old 10-25-2014, 07:26 AM
FlyLow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am with you Flea
I hate everthing black been riding these harleys since 1976 never ever owned a black Tee. Even my chapts and jacket are brown along with the seat on my back. Other than military I never had a black pair of shoes or boots...
Black Sucks

Old 10-25-2014, 10:18 AM
rockerz
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my opinion it's all about what you like in your bike.

I've seen many all blacked out, chrome ****** or a combination of color, black & chrome but it's how the bike flows. Some look killer, some are just ugly (maybe too harsh of a word).

Each ride needs to maintain a theme, not just throwing on random parts being chrome, black or color.

Each to their own. For example I like what I've done on my bikes, it may not be for everyone, but they put a smile on my face.

As far as blacked out bikes being a trend that dies, maybe, but I think it will always be there just like a chromed out Harley.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only chrome I changed to black is the oil filter.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going for black with chrome accents, like the V&H pipes. Still a work in progress. Just did denim primary cover with chrome bolts, but they don't stand out as much as I would like. I ordered some bolt covers, so we'll see how they look. I'm planning on leaving anything inside the V of the engine chrome (air cover, horn, etc) to showcase the engine.

Last edited by Clubber; 10-25-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:55 PM
BMM48
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bars were black but I agree it's nice to see something different so I color coded to match the front end.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read through everything in this because it seemed to have turned negative very quickly, so i'll just mention that I like black because it's easy to clean. 20 minutes, front to back, the mud and road crud is off my bike. My last bike had a ton of chrome on it, and I hated the fingerprints and polishing and wiping.

Is one more "unique" than the other? At this point..no.. If you go to any bike show you'll see either chromed-out bikes, or blacked-out bikes.. i think the Unique thing to do is just make it how you want it and screw what other people think.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:02 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

I think a proper looking Harley will have a mix of satin and gloss black as well as a little chrome. The contrast on various parts allows you to highlight certain features of the bike.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:20 AM
*Flea*
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, there is no "better" choice between going chrome or black for your bike.

There is another thread dedicated to ONLY blacked out bikes. That's cool, because that's the trend, and has been for a little while now. Lots of nice blacked out bikes out there. I started this thread to see who's NOT following that trend. A thread for people taking the black off their bikes and going a different route.

No need to debate about which is "better" or get defensive about your choice of customizing. There will be no "winner", and I seriously doubt anyone's mind will be swayed the other way.

So let's see some pictures of bikes going against the trend of blacked out bikes!

In my mind, there's bonus points for people who took a bike that's already started down the path of being blacked out and reversed it. For example, removing black from a Fat Boy Lo or Nightrain. I like when people change a bike from what's "expected" of it and take it down the path less traveled for that model.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:44 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,368 Likes on 3,999 Posts

OP... set your bike up the way you want and how it looks good to you...

You'll never get everyone to validate your choices.... some will like it, some will hate it, and some will try to force their opinions on you...

I've seen HDs that I loved....

I've seen HDs that just weren't my style...

I've seen HDs I wouldn't let in my garage.....

I've seen several that made me think WTF?!

Common thread in all of them is that the owners set up their bikes the way they like.... and I have no problem with that....

Chrome, black, pink or purple.... do what you want and enjoy the ride!

Old 10-26-2014, 09:44 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

well stated *Flea*; sometimes ppl wake up on the wrong side of their bed and this is why LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who is taking the black OFF their bike?