Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Cover screws

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:44 PM
GoFastr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing Cover screws

I want to put on a 100th anniversary timing cover on my 2003 Fat Boy FLSTF with a TC88 motor.

The torx screws are so tight they keep twisting all the tools I have tried.

Another mechanic told me that there are only 2 screws that hold the cover on and the rest are fake. I don't think so but he says that my bike can't be different than all the others he has worked on.

I see where they sell chrome screws as a kit for my bike and they have 5 screws in the pack just like my OEM Harley 100th timing cover kit comes with.

How do I get these torx screws out? I've used the little torx bits in a 1/4" socket with a ratchet and also the nut driver type to no avail. The Primary Cover was easy to do .

I've tried PB Blaster and I can't use heat because I don't want to mess up the chrome.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

First...your mechanic is full of $hit...or at best full of dino oil with 10,000 miles on it.

Torx screws work fine if you have a quality (not from Kmart or Walmart) bit with the exact fit. I'm not going to quote the size you need, as that might vary. But one size smaller and the head might strip, and/or the bit twist.

If you have already scrued up the heads or bits...try the following:
- buy new quality Torx bits such as Craftsman.
- buy an impact driver...the kind you smack with a hammer.
- choose the biggest bit that will fit the head. Put it in the impact driver. Set the impact driver direction for counter clockwise, hold it all tight, and smack the driver head with a hammer a few times.

If this does not work, then I suggest you take it to a dealer. As the next steps are more advanced than someone that can be bs'ed from a fly by night mechanic can handle.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

You might could also warm the bike up.
Rememeber cold expands and heat retracts.

My bet is the last time it was taken off somebody put red locktight on.

Good luck, I know it's a bitch.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:11 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Use a soldering iron to heat up the screws to help the loosen up. Cool them off with penetrating oil. Do this cycle 3 times. It works.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I've got the chrome screws and have stripped a few over time. What I did to get them out was put the torx on an extension, inserted the torx into the stripped screws and rap a few times with a hammer. And then use a small sharp chisel to loosen them. You place the edge of the chisel on the side of the screw and lightly tap with a hammer to make a little notch. Keep tapping to make the notch a little deeper. Then angle the chisel and lightly tap in the loosening direction. Be careful not to damage the cover or primary and be patient. Don't hit it hard. I've removed about a half dozen this way. It also helps to have the bike upright and of coursed the ones on the bottom are more difficult. Be careful and good luck.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-24-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:47 PM
GoFastr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. I figured that mechanic wasn't correct on my bike but wasn't entirely sure.

I bought a set of Craftsman torx bits and the Hammer impact but the bits are too small to fit the impact. The impact only came with a flat and philips head screwdriver and a couple of allen head bits. Their shank is bigger than my 1/4" torx bits. Do they sell an adapter?

Thanks for all the tips. I like the solder iron tip and may have to revert to the chisel if I don't have any more success. Just don't want to mess up the purdy chrome on my bike!