Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral and down shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 12:00 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts
Default Neutral and down shift problem

1996 FLSTC Just bought, got it running great and it up-shifts smooth, but when I downshift 5-4 is easy, 4-3, 3-2- 2-1 are difficult. Also hard to get neutral.
Going to service all fluids, just because I don't know when any services were performed.
Anything I should check for the downshift issue.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:44 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
1996 FLSTC Just bought, got it running great and it up-shifts smooth, but when I downshift 5-4 is easy, 4-3, 3-2- 2-1 are difficult. Also hard to get neutral.
Going to service all fluids, just because I don't know when any services were performed.
Anything I should check for the downshift issue.
Usually a simple clutch adjustment will fix these issues. If it doesn't then you'll have to look at clutch or gearbox components.

The following users liked this post:
Flat Out (06-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
Usually a simple clutch adjustment will fix these issues. If it doesn't then you'll have to look at clutch or gearbox components.
Agree with the clutch adjustment, at least on the part about bring hard to find neutral. It may take care of the down shift too. My bike has become a pain when finding neutral with the engine running, so I plan on the clutch adjustment next fluid change..

You should do it when you do the fluids since you need to remove the primary cover anyway.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-25-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:54 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Thanks

I'll try a clutch adjustment - that's an easy one. I have a new primary coming, so when it gets here I planned to do a thorough clutch inspection and as I said earlier all fluids.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:18 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Follow=up

nhrider1 and Pitbull Thanks. I adjusted the clutch and it does seem to help with feeling and hitting neutral. Still not good down shifting.
When the new primary gets here I'll do the full clutch inspection as well as all fluids. She has been sitting up, so hopefully some exercise will help.
Pitbull this is the same bike I found the intake leak on - so I'm not putting lots of hopes in the previous owners skill set.
Had issues with the derby cover - had to drill out 2 of the torques screws. Evidently the last person to put it on either believed tighter is better, doesn't know ft/lbs vs in/lbs, or has never seen a torque wrench or specs.
I appreciate the info. TAKE CARE

The following users liked this post:
Flat Out (06-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Explain a little better what you mean "difficult to down shift". What's it doing?

Old 10-25-2014, 06:44 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Shifts smooth 1-2-3-4-5 but when cornering, slowing to turn, or any time a normal downshift is needed 5-4 is no problem, 4-3 is 50/50 3-2 and 2-1 require 2 03 taps to get there. I don't feel any slack' but it just doesn't get the lower gear.
I ride with a light touch and am not use to having to search a lot and I refuse to stomp, so I feel for them and try until they engage.
I had already planned to inspect the clutch and probably upgrade, but I wasn't planning to go into the transmission.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

I'll think about this a little, but I can tell you that you need to quickly tap/bump the shifter with a little force when down shifting. If you just apply constant downward force it will grind and the feeling for the gear, not sure. And of course you should get the clunk going up or down..

One thing that does come to mind is the shift lever arm travel. If it's set too far forward the you would get positive/enough travel in up shifting, but not enough down shifting. I don't mean the foot lever position, but at the tranny..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-25-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:09 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Understand - I started on Shovels 4-speeds (had a few & still have one) and had several Evos 5 and 6 speeds. I know what the normal clunk and grab is and I'm not getting it going down. Just hoping it's not a bent shift fork or the like. Shift lever feels right - not too much play and returns to position, just doesn't grab the gears.
Thanks

Old 10-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Oh yeah, forgot you're an old Harley dude. if something else comes to mind, I'll let you know. Wish I could ride the thing so I could see for myself..

Quick Reply: Neutral and down shift problem